Archive for ‘Travel Disaster Worth Sharing’

Follow our blog by using the social media channels below or subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

Mike Unwin - 04 Aug 2015

Mike Unwin and his wife were flattened by the first storm of the rainy season in Zambia’s Lower Zambezi National Park. It was early November 2000. My wife and I were the last guests of the season at a well-known safari lodge in…

Read more

Alan Murphy - 12 Jul 2015

A sting from a paper wasp is painful. But a sting from a paper wasp on the head, now that is really painful! I had the day planned so carefully. My wife was…

Read more

Baboons are intelligent creatures and they love the safari lunch packs provided by many hotels in the bush. One time I was waiting in the car as my husband went to pay at the park entrance.

Read more

Anthony Ham - 12 Feb 2015

When the car won’t start and you’re on the little-travelled Saharan trails of southeastern Libya, you know you have a problem.

Read more

James Bainbridge - 01 Feb 2015

Travelling to Timbuktu on fishing boats scuppered numerous travel plans, but ultimately gave an insight into African life.

Read more

Mary Fitzpatrick - 06 Sep 2014

You know you are in for a long journey when…

Read more

Alan Murphy - 23 Aug 2014

A travel disaster that starts with a scam, follows with a chase, and ends with the hunt for emergency papers. Walvis Bay on the Namibian Coast, very close to the adventure town of Swakopmund, is a sleepy little place. Sleepy, but riddled with scammers!

Read more

Mary Fitzpatrick - 02 Aug 2014

Travel in Africa means always expecting the unexpected. I’ll leave it up to the reader to decide whether this is a travel disaster or simply another African adventure…..

Read more

Mike Unwin - 26 Jul 2014

Mike Unwin’s first self-drive venture into an African game park ground to an embarrassing halt. Easter 1989 found me in Botswana’s Chobe National Park with two companions. We were travelling in a battered old Mazda 323, which I had just bought in the capital, Gaborone.

Read more

Lizzie Williams - 12 Jul 2014

The electricity supply in Nigeria is perilously overloaded and especially hazardous, so it should be common sense to be very wary of touching any electrical socket or appliance.

Read more

  • Video's
  •  
  •