User Reviews – Etosha NP

We loved Etosha. The only thing we didn’t like, was that it wasn’t self catering. We like to braai and do our own food

The park has an amazing wildlife.

Scenic views and a lot of wildlife

My first time I saw wild elephants, rhino & hyena!

I was in Etosha National Park in April 2017. It is end of the rainy season so there is enough water for the animals in the nature. That is maybe the reason why we had not so much good luck at waterholes. We had best sightings in the East around Fort Namutoni. It was the first time I saw elephants, a rhino and a hyena! Most of them in the afternoon, just before sunset.

On the way from East to West we saw a few antilopes, ostrich and some other birds and of course breath taking landscapes. But I wished we would have stayed in the East around Namutoni. Also at the waterhole at Okaukuejo Camp in the West we had no luck.

My recommendation would be coming in the dry season later the year (Aug-Oct) or staying a few days in the East instead of going to the West. But, this is safari, you never know what happens!! Maybe we had just bad luck.

The camp sites were all clean and there are shops and restaurants. It is possible there to book extra game drives / night drives. I recommend to bring your own water / don’t drink tap water (like I did in the rest of Namibia, without any issues).

An absolutely wonderful park to visit and enjoy the fantastic wildlife up close.

This is my second visit to Etosha, the first was in November 2007 and I can definitely say it is unlikely to be my last. The landscape, sunsets, guides, variety of birds and mammals all make for an amazing experience. If you have never been to a wildlife park in Africa this one should be one you must visit.

At the time of my visit at the end of the dry season, Etosha was full of animals, which were easy to see as they were drawn to the many waterholes. Bird watching was also exceptional. The quality and the quantity of the sightings far exceeded my expectation. The place never felt crowded, I always felt safe and the accommodation in the park was quite acceptable.

Don't expect too many animals during the wet season

In general, Etosha seems to be a great park to go to. The facilities were good, camping was fun and the scenery is just lovely. As we went there in the wet season of February, Etosha was very green, with plenty of water everywhere, so finding animals was very hard, even for our nice and very experienced guides. We did end up with a few sightings though, highlighted by a young leopard, who was drinking some water in the middle of the road. We saw plenty of giraffes, ostriches and springbok, but the rhinos were unfortunately hiding! It was fun to spot birds and also smaller animals like honey badgers, even though hard when the car was moving. I can definitely recommend going there, but would personally try again in dry season!

A truly fantastic safari experience with a variety of wildlife in a natural setting

I was incredibly impressed with the wildlife that we came across during our game drives in Etosha National Park, which included many lions, zebras, giraffes, elephants, rhinos, hyenas, wildebeest, birds of prey and so much more. I arrived hoping to see at least one lion, but managed to see over 20 in the three days that we were there, including lions with a kill and lionesses with their cubs which was a real highlight.

The Okaukuejo waterhole was an absolute delight and only a short walking distance of the Okaukuejo rest camp where we stayed. The setting was surreal, it was like watching a live theatre show with a steady stream of animals and birds constantly arriving to bathe and drink just a few metres away. I could happily sit and watch the wildlife come and go all day long just in this one spot. At night the waterhole is floodlight, so we could continue viewing in the dark and was surprised by the number of animals that came to visit throughout the evening, including a number of rhinos with their young. This was ideal, as we were able to extend our safari experience after our games drives in a relaxed environment.

The campsite facilities were great. We had access to a small outdoor kitchen, which made food preparation a lot easier. Shower facilities were also of a high standard.

Many sightings of animals (sadly no leopard although we did see black rhino)

This is one of Africa's iconic game parks

Etosha is one of Southern Africa's iconic game parks. Namibia is a very safe country to visit, the main tarred roads are good although the dirt roads need caution and preferably a four wheel drive. The wildlife is easy to see with a good selection of mammals, the bird life is exceptional so it is worth self driving around the park and taking one's time to look at them all. There are excellent bird books and apps for smart phones to help identify them all. The landscape is generally flat and arid with very little dense vegetation making game viewing easy. The southern hemisphere spring around September is a good time to visit, the weather is warm during the day and the nights are cool, it rarely rains at this time of the year. Accomodation is good, clean and comfortable with a choice of camping and various levels of chalet depending on the budget. It does need to be booked well in advance as it is a very popular destination. The camps all have WiFi and cell phone coverage. The main camps serve barbecues and buffet food which is freshly prepared and good quality. Food allergies and sensitivities can be catered for. A choice of game meats is available with South African wines and local beers. The camps have well maintained swimming pools for cooling off in the afternoons. The staff are all friendly and helpful, and the guides are knowlegeable if you choose to go on night drives etc. The highlight for me was the birding, 132 species seen in 14 days and some award winning photos to bring back!