​User Reviews – Okavango Delta

Kirstie Bankslyon   –
Visited: October 2018 Reviewed: Nov 5, 2018

Email Kirstie Bankslyon  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Hippos and elephants - as we were on a walking Safari the other animals were quite far away

Barbara Bergfield   –
Visited: September 2018 Reviewed: Oct 16, 2018

Email Barbara Bergfield  |  65+ years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

It is a great place for Birding. I should’ve stayed at a better reserve.

cynthia_rusbridge   –
Visited: April 2017 Reviewed: Sep 24, 2018

Email cynthia_rusbridge

A unique habitat

Really good boat trips, and meeting a bull Elephant in must, while in Mokoro dugout canoe was very exciting. Ranger guides on land less interesting. Excellent accommodation at Nguma lodge, in perfect setting. However a torrential downpour cancelled a boat trip and dampened our enthusiasm.

Lawrence and Julie   –
Visited: June 2018 Reviewed: Jul 23, 2018

Email Lawrence and Julie

This was the first part of our trip and was perhaps the best start we could have asked for. The tranquil trip down the delta was very soothing and relaxing. We camped out overnight and experienced the beautiful night sky and morning views. Sunset and sunrise on the delta are memories I will never forget.

Roger   –
Visited: May 2018 Reviewed: Jul 14, 2018

Email Roger

A very different ecperience from any that I've had before in a very good way!

We stayed at Moremi Crossing, which was excellent, having flown in by light aircraft from Maun. The weather was very good for us -sunny but not too hot. The clear skies were magnificent at night - coming from a relatively light polluted area the chance to see (and photograph) the Milky Way was great. We say a variety of wildlife and my abiding memory was of an elephant at close quarters from a Mokoro (the experience of being poled through the waterways in a Mokoro was magical too). We also saw Red Lechwe, buffalo, hippo and a great variety of birds - I couldn't define myself as a birder but there certainly seemed to be an abundance.

Our accommodation was very good with excellent food and a pleasant atmosphere.

Helene de Ridder   –
South Africa ZA
Visited: June 2018 Reviewed: Jul 11, 2018

Email Helene de Ridder  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: over 5 safaris

Excellent for bird and wildlife photography

Paula Adams   –

Germany DE
Visited: October 2017 Reviewed: Oct 31, 2017

Email Julian  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: over 5 safaris

Mokoro Trip

I did a 3 days/2 nights self-catered mokoro trip to the delta. It is a completely different experience to other Safari destinations. Do not expect to see as much wildlife as on a game drive or a boat safari, but the bush vibe is fantastic an the hikes on the islands are very nice walking safaris. The delta is also a great destination for bird watching.

Jessica   –
Visited: September 2017 Reviewed: Oct 19, 2017

Email Jessica  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Singular opportunity to track animals on foot and by makuro (dugout canoe).

I spent about 48 hours in the Okavango Delta, where I saw zebra and elephants up close, hippos (close enough!) and learned about the unique habitat through guided walks and makuro trips. We had the opportunity to try our hand at poling a makuro, and were able to interact meaningfully with local guides. This was a different and refreshing pace from motored game-drives. It allowed us to feel like an integrated part of this special habitat, just another small herd.

Wolfgang Stark   –
Germany DE
Visited: August 2017 Reviewed: Sep 20, 2017

Email Wolfgang Stark  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

The Okavango Delta is simply beautiful, full of lush swamps and amazing scenery.

The wildlife features a large array of birds and crocodiles amongst other animals but these two were the most prominent and especially because you can't see them that easily in other places. The weather was perfect, we were there in August so it was roughly 25 with no mosquitos and nice and sunny. The transportation and guides were perfect, we went in a Jeep to the island and it was easy and efficient. The highlights were definitely seeing a local guide start a fire with some sticks as well as learning about how they use a tree to make alcohol. The main highlight was rowing through the delta in an old school canoe, it was incredible and one not to be missed. I wish I could attach photos but I do not think this is an option.