User Reviews – Okavango Delta

Sort By: Date Most Helpful 31-40 of 109 Reviews
The Okavango Delta is the most amazing experience

Staying in the Okavango Delta was the highlight of my trip to Bostswana. The amazing experience started with the trip to our camp site by mokoro (canoe) along rivers and channels which are home to elephants, hippos and a huge number of birds. The trip got better and better with a walking safari past giraffe, zebras etc., swimming in the delta, and stories and games with the local guides around the campfire. Sunset over the delta will stay in my memory for a very long time.

An opportunity to submerse yourself into the iconic natural world of Africa!

The biggest highlight for me was the isolation felt within the Okavango Delta. For the entire week we were there we didn't run into any other tourists/safari companies which I have previously noticed on safari tours elsewhere. This isolation made every encounter seem incredibly more special and private and enforced the feeling that we were guests into the animals world.

Excellent safari destination with sufficient tourism infrastructure

The highlight to our trip was 3 nights at Eagle Island Lodge (Belmond) on the Okavango Delta. This was a beautiful location with first class accommodation and service. In addition to the game drives we enjoyed a walking safari and trips out on the delta, both in powered boats and by mokoro.

Photography. Exceptional bird life and water life as well as wildlife. Scenery excellent. Would highly recommend

Best Assortment of animals in diverse settings; the big five, small five, ugly five and many birds

As a long time traveler, I was concerned that my trip to the Okavango Delta would be marred by excessive tourism or local ennui with visitors. I experienced neither! From seeing predators in action to almost co-habiting with wildlife, there were wonders to enjoy every day. I probably took over 5000 photos -- of rare and common birds, of extraordinary bugs, and predator/prey behaviors, there was never a time when I was not mesmerized. I stayed in AndBeyond Sandibe Okavango Lodge (probably the most elegant of all I have stayed in) where customer service is phenomenal, and, most importantly the guides and trackers were amazing. Also stayed at Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp where the guides tailor made the safaris to our liking. Time on the water was magical. Locals are delightful. If I could, I would go back to Botswana every single year, as there is still so much more to see. AndBeyond, while not cheap, was worth every single dollar spent.

The Okavango Delta is a place you must visit while in botswana. l really recommend the mokoros to go in the delta, the guides are really competent and the scenery magical.

so many game and not soooo much tourist and for me a new experience to make a safari by feet. It is a big difference to all other safaris
Great nature

Awesome destination and one of the last paradises left on this crowded plant!

I visited the Okavango Delta on many occasions over a 10-years period between 2000 and 2010. The wildlife is simply awesome and the scenery breathtaking and adventurous. Where on earth may you still be an integral part of nature and wildlife if not in a place such as the Okavango Delta? I mainly did camp at public campsites, where wildlife including elephants and lions were regular and wild dogs occasional visitors. Once in a while, I also enjoyed tented camps, which is luxury pure! What you need is a good 4x4 vehicle, ideally including a winch and a snorkel, and definitely some reliable GPS and a good GPS map, e.g. Tracks 4 Africa, including pre-determined waypoints and routes. If you’ve got the chance to visit Botswana and the Okavango Delta then just go for it. You won’t regret!

An Authentic Trip Through the African Bush

This trip was the highlight of my month of traveling through Africa. We were taken up the delta on traditional mokoro boats, and set up to camp in the middle of the wilderness. Our guides (members of the local village) took great care of us, and took us on multiple safari walks. these walks allowed us to see the animals up close and in their natural, undisturbed habitat. With such little alterations to the landscape, the Okavango Delta is truly a magical place. 100% would go back, and would definitely recommend it to a friend!