Countries & Parks
Top Rated Safari Countries
Botswana is the leader in low-impact, upmarket tourism. This eco-friendly approach promotes a true wilderness experience in this unspoiled country. The beauty of the Okavango Delta is best discovered by mokoro canoe, while abundant wildlife can be encountered in Chobe and Moremi parks.
- Rates $170 to $875 pp/day
- Best time Mar-May (dry parks), Jun-Sep (Okavango, Chobe)
- High season July to October (Only Chobe gets crowded)
Botswana Parks & ReservesAll 14 Parks & Reserves
Kenya is a top wildlife destination, recommended especially for those booking a first-time safari. The Masai Mara offers excellent big cat encounters and is the setting for the yearly wildebeest migration. Palm-lined beaches offer a perfect place to relax after an action packed safari.
- Rates $112 to $560 pp/day
- Best time June to October, January to February
- High season July to November, January and February
Kenya Parks & ReservesAll 26 Parks & Reserves
Malawi’s main tourist attraction is enormous Lake Malawi, with its beaches and water-based activities. The country also offers a range of safari options. Lovely Liwonde National Park has a winding river ideal for boat trips and seeing lots of elephants. Majete Wildlife Reserve is Malawi’s top Big Five destination. The rolling green hills of Nyika National Park are ideal for walking.
- Rates $300 to $692 pp/day
- Best time July to October (Dry bush and animals easier to find)
- High season Jul to Oct (Some parks are busy, high-season rates)
Malawi Parks & ReservesAll 9 Parks & Reserves
Mozambique’s main attractions are its islands and its endless, largely undeveloped coastline. The Quirimbas and Bazaruto archipelagos are great places to relax on the beach, and also to see some amazing marine life. Maputo Special Reserve is an excellent spot for ocean safaris, as well as for seeing some elephants and other wildlife in a coastal setting. Niassa and Gorongosa both have potential to become top wildlife destinations with four of the Big Five present, though tourist facilities are limited at present.
- Rates $157 to $895 pp/day
- Best time July to October (It's dry and animals are easy to find)
- High season Never (Most parks never get busy)
Mozambique Parks & ReservesAll 8 Parks & Reserves
Namibia is characterized by its desert habitat and a remarkable variety of landforms. This harsh environment forms a magnificent backdrop for a different kind of safari. Animal populations are smaller, but sightings in this sparse setting tend to be rewarding. Not to be missed is Etosha National Park, a seasonal wildlife magnet.
- Rates $138 to $762 pp/day
- Best time June to October (All parks)
- High season July to October (Etosha gets crowded)
Namibia Parks & ReservesAll 13 Parks & Reserves
Rwanda’s gorilla trekking is a once-in-a lifetime experience (easily added on to any African safari). But there is plenty more on offer. Volcanoes National Park is the place to be for gorilla trekking, and volcano hikes. Chimps and many other primates can be found in Nyungwe Forest, while savannah safaris are offered in off-the-beaten track Akagera National Park.
- Rates $276 to $1,307 pp/day
- Best time Jun to Sep (Except for chimp trekking in Nyungwe)
- High season June to September (Gorilla permits are scarce)
Rwanda Parks & ReservesAll 4 Parks & Reserves
South Africa is one of Africa’s great wildlife destinations. Vast Kruger National Park has an abundance of animals and is one of the continent's iconic attractions. For outdoor adventure, the Blyde River Canyon is the third largest on the planet, and jagged peaks of the Drakensberg mountains, punch into the sky. Cape Town hums with an urban beat, and is fringed by white-sandy beaches.
- Rates $149 to $640 pp/day
- Best time May to September (All parks)
- High season Oct to Mar (Usually not very crowded)
South Africa Parks & ReservesAll 43 Parks & Reserves
Swaziland (recently renamed Eswatini) is easily incorporated in a South African holiday. It offers some outstanding wildlife viewing in low-key parks, stunning scenery and traditional cultures. Mkhaya Game Reserve and Hlane Royal National Park are excellent places to see many flagship animals.
- Rates $82 to $325 pp/day
- Best time May to September (Dry season)
- High season December to January and July to August (It never gets very busy)
Swaziland Parks & ReservesAll 6 Parks & Reserves
Tanzania has three safari circuits and each one of them would make Tanzania a top wildlife destination. The popular Northern circuit with the Serengeti and Ngorongoro crater offers one of the best classical safaris in Africa, especially if timed with the annual wildebeest migration.
- Rates $185 to $591 pp/day
- Best time Jun to Oct (Migration from Jun-Jul & Jan-Feb)
- High season July to March (Northern circuit parks get crowded)
Tanzania Parks & ReservesAll 13 Parks & Reserves
Uganda is a great destination to view wildlife in both forest and savannah. Not to be missed is gorilla trekking in Bwindi or Mgahinga, while chimps can easily be spotted in Kibale and several other locations. Queen Elizabeth and Murchison Falls national parks offer wonderful savannah safaris with good wildlife viewing, as does the more remote Kidepo National Park.
- Rates $205 to $543 pp/day
- Best time June to August and December to February
- High season June to September (It's rarely crowded)
Uganda Parks & ReservesAll 10 Parks & Reserves
In Zambia, you’ll be looked after on safari by some of the best guides in Africa. They’ll happily share everything they know about the local wildlife and landscape, while safely leading you on game drives, walking safaris, even canoeing safaris along the Zambezi River.
- Rates $202 to $1,117 pp/day
- Best time May to September (all parks)
- High season July to October (not crowded, except Victoria Falls)
Zambia Parks & ReservesAll 14 Parks & Reserves
Due to the political situation in Zimbabwe, tourists are few and prices are competitive, but the main parks are still cared for and well worth visiting. Hwange is not to be missed and Mana Pools offers great canoeing safaris on the Zambezi River.
- Rates $176 to $884 pp/day
- Best time May to September (All parks)
- High season July to October (Only Victoria Falls gets busy)