User Reviews – Kidepo Valley NP

Off into the raw nature of the vast landscape of Kidepo Valley National Park

Not being a huge fan of wildlife safaris, I asked around which safari park in Uganda was a must-visit during my stay. Although the travel took me quite some time, I didn't regret the trip up north (with a stop in Moroto, Karamojong district) for a second. I had seen beautiful photos of Kidepo Valley NP, but driving towards the entrance of the park along the different villages of Kotido and Kaabong, I was already surprised by the breathtaking scenery. Once we got to the park, I was startled by the beautiful hills on which every now and then groups of animals (e.g., giraffes, antilopes, zebras) could be spotted and the massive mountain range (in South Sudan) could be seen on the background. Since the park, at the time when I visited the Kidepo Valley NP, was not that often visited by tourists, it felt as if my driver, guide and I were dropped into undiscovered land as I only saw other vehicles twice - somewhat magical, I have to admit.

Whereas you might not find a heap of animals on one spot given the huge area Kidepo Valley NP, the scenery of the park makes up for that. Next to that, I would strongly advise to stay for a night at Kidepo Valley NP. The sunset is a-ma-zing, there are so many stars at night you cannot count them, and it's nice to sit with the guides around the campfire (if you're on your own).

Also, my guide was very friendly and knowledgeable and the staff at the Apoka Rest Camp was extremely helpful when I had to arrange my transport for the next morning.

Although maybe not the best park to spot the Big Five in one day - over multiple days that's definitely possible - Kidepo Valley NP is definitely worth the travel regarding the unique nature and scenery of the park. You don't feel like a plain tourist stacked in a safari bus, but you more likely feel like an adventurer exploring new lands. It's simply stunning!

Chimpanzees !

Simply amazing- there is no other way to say it.

This is is certainly the best park in Uganda, with the most wildlife and the elusive wild dog, cheetah and ostrich. Other animals include hyena, lion, leopard, zebra, water buck, buffalo, giraffe, jackals and many more. You learn so much about the tribes here, and the birding was terrific.

Less game then the other national parks in Uganda, but the remoteness and scenic beauty makes it worth the (long) trip!

True Encounter with Uganda's Virgin Destination

Kidepo Valley National Park is one of Uganda's most beautiful conservation areas that has not been touched so much hence not suffered much natural alteration. The Karimojong people are the only tribe in Uganda that have not been so much influenced by modern life style to change their Culture and cultural practice.
The national park has most of the animal species with vast open savanna and some bird species that are endemic to the region.

Wildlife and safari at its best!

Plenty of animals, beautiful sceneries, and the few people we met were very nice and friendly. A campsite on a hilltop was our choice: plenty of stars at night, romantic campfire, wonderful sunset and sunrise, but also very basic facilities, and lions might be around. If you want the more relaxed option, try the mid-range bandas or the upmarket lodge, both at Apoka. Self-drive from Kampala is doable (in dry season, at least), but it's a long, long drive. There are some tour operators from Kampala. Staff at the park is very helpful, you can find a driver, guard or cook if you like.

There are many species of wildlife. There is a long drive on dirt road before arriving at the park. Quiet a number of bird species.

If you want to see cats in Uganda - Kidepo is your park. Getting to Kidepo can be a logistical nightmare, most people fly into the park, others brave the drive. The roads, depending on the time of year, can be tricky. It's important to call the park ahead of time to get information on the roads to determine if they are passable. I drove there in a 4x4 and had zero problems. The scenery is astounding, the wildlife - even better. We were lucky enough to stumble upon a pride of lions eating an elephant, we were a mere 7 feet away from them.

An alternative, adventurous safari.

Many different animals to see, and a very unspoilt view because almost no tourists go there. Besides the rides in our car, we also did a walking trip, which was nice, because it's very different. Our ranger was very professional and a nice and interesting person. We camped in the park and cooked our own food on a fire, which adds to the 'bush vibe', but if you want a lot of comfort it's probably not the best place. Also the (long) journey through the country to get to the park was very interesting in my opinion. If you have time, it's a very good choice.

An alternative, adventurous safari.