Weather & Climate – Masoala NP
Philip is a renowned Africa expert and author of many guidebooks to African destinations, including the Insight guide to Madagascar.
Philip is a renowned Africa expert and author of the Insight Guide to Madagascar.
Philip is the author of the Insight Guide to Madagascar.
Climate Chart Masoala National Park – 7-1,196m / 23-3,924ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Masoala National Park has a tropical climate. Rainfall and humidity are high throughout the year, but the driest months are August to November. The area is prone to torrential rains and cyclones. February and March see the majority of these conditions. Waterproof clothing is essential throughout the year.
Dry season –August to November – Winter
It is cool and less humid than in the Wet season. It can still rain anytime but downpours are less frequent. Daytime temperatures are around 25°C/77°F.
- August – It rains less towards the end of the month. Afternoons are temperate with temperatures reaching 24°C/75°F, but evenings and early mornings are cooler with temperatures of around 15°C/59°F.
- September & October – These are the driest months, but it can still rain any day. It warms up slightly to daytime temperatures of 25°C/77°F in October.
- November – It is still relatively dry and humidity isn’t very high. It starts to warm up to an average daytime temperature of 27°C/81°F. Nights are pleasant at 18°C/64°F.
Wet season –December to July – Summer
The Wet season months are very humid and warm. It rains a lot and waterproof clothing is essential. Daytime temperatures average at 29°C/84°F, but peak temperatures can be much higher.
- December & January – Rain increases in December and so does the humidity. Daytime temperatures are around 29°C/84°F.
- February, March & April – These are the wettest months and the risk of cyclones is high. Rain often comes in the form of torrential downpours. The sea tends to be choppy and boat transfers to the peninsula are not recommended.
- May, June & July – The heavy rains cease and temperatures drop. Drizzling rain is common at this time. There are many overcast days. July is the coolest month with daytime temperatures around 23°C/73°F and night temperatures hover around 14°C/57°F.