Weather & Climate – Mkhuze GR
Climate Chart Mkhuze Game Reserve – 26-350m / 85-1,148ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Summer and winter are experienced at opposing times of the year, as compared to Europe and North America. Since the area experiences rainfall during the summer (October to April), this is considered the Wet season. Winter (the Dry season) is pleasantly warm and occurs from May to September. Mkhuze has a sub-tropical climate, making the summers hot and humid.
Dry season –May to September – Winter
Wintertime sees almost no rain, although an occasional shower could occur due to the coastal proximity of the park. The temperatures are less oppressive than in the summer and skies are generally clear and bright.
- May – The rain and humidity lessens while average temperatures drop to 14°C/57°F in the morning and 26°C/79°F in the afternoon.
- June, July & August – Cold mornings follow nighttime temperatures of around 11°C/52°F. This makes warm clothing a necessity. Afternoons are pleasant, with temperatures of around 25°C/77°F.
- September – The rain comes with the beginning of spring and frequently in the form of thundershowers. Temperatures rise gradually to an average of 27°C/81°F. Mornings are warmer, with temperatures hovering around 15°C/59°F.
Wet season –October to April – Summer
The heat is intense during the summer and humidity is substantial. Rain is frequent, but mostly in the afternoons. Heavy thunderstorms occur with regularity.
- October & November – It rains during most afternoons and sometimes it rains all day. Temperatures are between 18°C/64°F in the morning and 28°C/82°F in the afternoon.
- December, January & February – The heat and humidity is intense. Afternoon storms happen almost daily. Although it can get much hotter, average daily temperatures are around 31°C/88°F. The most temperate time of the day is early morning, with averages of around 20°C/68°F.
- March & April – Average daily temperatures become more tolerable at 29°C/84°F. It rains less frequently, and the humidity decreases. Mornings are fair at 18°C/64°F.