Weather & Climate – Nxai Pan NP
Climate Chart Nxai Pan Game Reserve – 914-953m / 2,999-3,127ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Nxai Pan has well-defined Dry (April to October) and Wet (November to March) seasons, as well as a hot, desert climate. As the Dry season progresses, the park becomes more and more parched, with the heat reaching its peak in October. When the rains break, signaling the beginning of the Wet season, it cools down immediately.
Dry season –April to October
April sees the tail-end of the Wet season, with the last of the rains. June and July are the coolest months; however, the temperature will begin to climb in August, with a peak in October and November.
- April & May – The start of the Dry season. It is mostly sunny and dry. It is warm in the middle of the day, with temperatures rising to 29°C/84°F.
- June, July & August – These months see little rain. Conditions are cooler with afternoon temperatures hovering around 26°C/79°F on average. It gets chilly in the morning at about 7°C/45°F. It is recommended to bring warm clothing for early morning game drives.
- September & October – The end of the Dry season is notable for the heat reaching its peak before the rains break. October is uncomfortably hot, with average daytime temperatures of 34°C/93°F. Nights and mornings are much better.
Wet season –November to March
It doesn’t usually rain all day, although afternoon thunderstorms and short showers become a consistent pattern. The season stays hot throughout, with afternoon temperatures of about 31°C/88°F. Mornings are cooler.
- November & December – Conditions are hot with plenty of sunshine. Rain is inconsistent but comes as a relief because temperatures tend to build up before the rain and drop afterward. The average temperature during the early morning is about 19°C/65°F.
- January & February – During the wettest time of year, it often rains in the afternoon, but it is usually over in a few hours. Thunderstorms are typical.
- March – The rains are slackening off. Rainfall mostly comes as a thunderstorm, and it can still rain every couple of days. At 17°C/63°F, mornings are slightly cooler.