User Reviews – Okavango Delta

Sort By: Date Most Helpful 61-70 of 108 Reviews
Okavango Serenity

We went to the Okavango Delta in February. We stayed in a riverside camp manned by Delta Rain. We were serenaded by the very friendly Delta Rain team when we arrived via jeep (after a 1/2 hour ride from Maun).
They then paddled us along the river to our camp in their mokoros. It was a tented camp, with real beds, mosquito nets & en-suite showers (rigged up in a tree branch & filled with hot water, heated on the fire). We cooked over an open fire and sang songs around the fire by night. During the day we explored the local bush on walking safari & rivers via mokoro, but apart from the odd Fish Eagle we saw very little wildlife - think that the rivers were high and we were just unlucky. Life out in the bush was great and really laid-back & relaxed. I would recommend it.

The last night we stayed at a hostel back in Maun and one of our friends (sleeping in a tent within the fenced compound) was robbed (laptop)and apparently it had happened before. So that was a bit of sad ending to an otherwise fantastic trip.

A not-to-be-misses destination

The Okavango Delta was just one stop on a month long visit to Africa but it was the richest in terms of game viewing and overall safari experience. We encounter the rarely seen pangolin, lions galore (a pair on their "honeymoon"), amusing (and sometimes annoying) vervet monkeys, elephants, zebra, herds of antelope, and amazing birds; the iconic lilac-breasted roller among many others. It was July so bundling up for the early morning game drives was a must....by about 10 it warmed up enough to shed a few layers and enjoy the sun. Our camp was operated by Wilderness Safaris - the food was wonderful, the staff simply the best, and our guides shared not only their knowledge of the area but their love of the land as well. The sweet scent of what our guide called "savannah basil" filled the air as we traveled through the delta - an experience I will long remember.

I was impressed by stunning nature far away from the civilisation.

My accommondation was a tent, that was build on a high platform. On that platform was a toilet and a shower with no roof. The valuables were stored in a box that was locked.
The excursions were very exciting, because we used a traditonal boat made of wood to reach our destination. I never walked by foot in an area, where animals like elephants, lions and leopards are living.
In the night, elephants and hippos walked through our camp. Summarized the three days were very exciting.

Luxury safaris here are famous for being some of the most exclusive and private in the world.

This vast wetland attracts much game due to its lush vegetation and permanent water supplies – luxury safaris here are famous for being some of the most exclusive and private in the world, and the game viewing never disappoints. Due to the flat nature of the Delta the sunrises and sunsets are particularly colourful, which makes for excellent photographic opportunities when you do find your herd of zebra.

This was opposite in scenery to the Kalahari, lots of water and plants, again remote from other tourists. The wild life was totally amazing and combining the Kalahari and Okavango as my two destinations I feel I had two totally different but amazing experiences of safaris.

I loved The mokoro Activity- a dug out canoe which is 'poled' along by a Guide is the most evocative way of exploring the numerous waterways of the delta.

The flood waters of the Delta cover 35,000 square kilometers, creating permanent lagoons lakes and channels even in the dry season. This oasis has some of the highest concentration of wildlife and an astounding number of bird species.

Awesome habitat; beautiful scenery and animal variety.

Mostly only accessible by boat or aircraft. One of the jewels of the world. Nobody should miss this great place if they are in southern Africa.

The Delta is splendid! Best thing you can do to stay with the Nature. We stayed at Delta 3 days camping. No shower, no electricity, no bathrooms, and believe me, no wi-fi! Three days in the middle of the nature, making bush walks and mokoro trips. We saw hippos, elephants, zebras (a lot!). And one of the bests sunsets of my life! Wonderful!