User Reviews – Queen Elizabeth NP

Game drives in Queen Elizabeth

I spent one day and one night in Queen Elizabeth and did the game drive in Inshasha and one in the north of the park. The scenery was good especially in the south of the park. We saw lots of animals including several close encounters with elephants. Sadly no lions though. I drove my personal car but we picked up an UWA ranger for the game drive. I'm glad we did since he knew the best places to stop which I would have likely passed otherwise. We stayed overnight @theRiver which I definitely recommend. Good food and accommodation. There were not many other tourists around so it felt like we had a lot of the park to ourselves. I went in February which is the dry season and was a nice climate.

Wow, this place was not as expected. A lot less animals than expected and while the boat trip was a different way to do a safari in africa, the commentary while on the boat was a real disappointment.

An interesting park but a little too crowded for my own taste. A nice selection of wild life

Excellent because of the beauty of the place, the boat safari's and the lions!!!

We stayed at Mbewa Lodge and Ishasha Camp. Highlight of our whole trip was a boat trip on the Kazinga Channel seeing so many water birds and elephants. Tree-climbing lions were amazing in Ishasha

Beholding groups of lions napping in trees was spectacular!

A crash course in biriding

QENP does have some elephants and cats, but not as many as the bigger parks in East Africa. We were not birders before this trip, but you cannot help to be one here. The diversity is so great, you are sure to find a new bird wherever you look. It is relatively quiet compared to the parks in Tanzania. There are other vehicles, but not as many as you would see in Tanzania.

Queen Elizabeth National Park was a fantastic place to visit and to see all the wildlife including lions, elephants, various antelope along with so much birdlife complimented the fabulous views seen at dawn as the sun rose.

Picturesque views, great camping and a perfect layover between seeing chimps and gorillas

As far as traditional, savannah type game parks, QENP is one of Uganda's few options. The park's beauty and open landscape is a nice change from the more typical forests in the south west of the country, however, in many respects - e.g. wildlife and vastness - QENP lags far behind parks in neighbouring Kenya and Tanzania. But if you were looking for the standard safari experience you probably wouldn't be looking at Uganda in the first place!

QENP is definitely worth a visit and it's location between Kibale and Bwindi/Mgahinga make it an ideal place to spend a night between seeing the more impressive chimps and gorillas of the other parks. Because the wildlife is rather sparse in the park, grab a guide from the front gate if you must see the leopards and lions, otherwise do what we did and take a relaxing drive through the many tracks along the craters to enjoy the scenery while searching for the herds of elephants, buffalo and other animals.

As for accommodation, I highly recommend camping inside the park if you have the gear - great views, inexpensive and a nice way to experience the park. Don't worry about breakfast as there is a restaurant about 5 minutes from the campsite with an amazing view over the lake.

Considering this isn't Uganda's forte, the park offers some surprising moments and picturesque views. As long as you're not expecting the Maasai Mara, it will add to your experience of the country.

Good gamedrives, nice weather. Went on a very good boatdrive on the Kazinga channel with lots of animals.

• 4.2/5