User Reviews – Queen Elizabeth NP

Amazing Experience

My expections were pretty high, since I have always heard amazing things about QENP. And I must say I was not disappointed.

The day started in the best possible way: Reaching the main road of the park, we spotted a Hyena. As we were moving towards the park entrance, we also spotted elephants and crocodiles near Katunguru bridge.

But when we reached Kasenyi plains... Thatºs when the magic started.
Large herds of Ugandan Kob and buffalos were easily spotted. Waterbucks are also common in this area. Warthogs and hippos are abundant in QENP.
I was expecting to see a larger variety of herbivores, but it seems the park is a bit limited when it comes to that - no giraffes, zebras, etc.
The main gold for the morning was not achived, tho: Tracking lions and leopards.

Then we moved to Mweya so we could have lunch. The dense vegetation didn't allow us to see more than a few waterbucks and some baboons, but when we reached Mweya Lodge - which is indeed a lovely place - we could see the elephants on the other side of the lake. Warthogs are also around.

As we decided that Ishasha should be postponed (it was about to rain and our guide called another guide to check the situation in that sector - no lions were spotted in the morning), we came to the conclusion that we should go back to Kasenyi plains to track the big cats.

We drove for almost an hour when we finally spotted them: A lioness, with four cubs. After driving around, we were lucky enough to spot a few more lions.
But the best was yet to come. The leopard. We spotted her on top of a tree, with a warthog in her mouth. She climbed down, and we stood near her for more than one hour and a half. We watched her drinking water, cleaning herself, resting, anyway, a true lifetime experience.

All in all, I must say it was one of the best days in my life. I truly recommend this experience and this park to anyone.

Kyambura Gorge is amazing!

If you assess the park purely on the game drives, then it was very disappointing. There are only a few species that we saw: elephants, hippos, warthogs, buffalos, waterbucks and Ugandan kobs. However there are some activities which are excellent, making this a worthwhile destination:
1. Lion and leopard tracking with big cat research scientists. Thanks to the tracking collars we located 2 beautiful male lions, then 3 females and finally a female leopard. Going off road (since we had a ranger with us) made it even more fun!
2. Boat trip on Kazinga Channel is a wonderful way of seeing hippos, elephants and buffalos, plus water birds. Loved it.
3. Finally, the Kyambura Gorge. This place alone is worth the visit to this park. Rainforest in the middle of the savanna. The most beautiful forest I have ever been to. If you are lucky, you might find chimpanzees as well (I did not), but even without them the place is extraordinarily beautiful. You can see monkeys, birds, and the river is full of hippos.
Please keep in mind that there are about 40,000 people living in the park, and about 80,000 around the borders, so sometimes it does not feel like that you are in a national park.

Amazing classic safari lions are common as well as leopards

Amazing............. it was so good myaya is a must see place

it was amazing

classic safari destination with good variety of animals

Fantastic both for close up of wildlife and birdwatching

The boat safari as well as a jeep safari enabled me to see so many birds and lots of other animals. Absolutely brilliant place and super guides too.

Spotted hippos, elephants, lions, buffalo etc

Could not find the tree climbing lions

Would recommend this park due to diversity of wildlife.

• 4.2/5