Weather & Climate – Tembe EP
Due to its locale in the southern hemisphere, Tembe Elephant Park experiences winter and summer at opposite times as they are experienced in Europe and North America. The park lies in an area of summer rainfall and the Wet season months (October to April) tend to be hot and humid. The winter season (May to September) is the dry time of the year and although the daytime is pleasantly warm, it gets quite cold at night.
Climate Chart Tembe Elephant Park – 36-147M / 118-482Ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Dry season –May to September – Winter
There is little rain during the winter, but there could be an occasional shower due to the proximity of the park to the coast. Compared to the summer months, the heat is less oppressive and skies are usually clear.
- May – Less rain occurs at the end of the summer and humidity lessens. Average temperatures are a rather cool 15°C/59°F in the morning and a warm 27°C/81°F in the afternoon.
- June, July & August – Afternoon temperatures average around 25°C/77°F, decreasing to about 12°C/54°F at night. It will feel even colder with the chilly breeze experienced while riding in an open vehicle, so make sure to pack warm clothing.
- September – Springtime is experienced in September. Daytime temperatures average 27°C/81°F. Mornings are less chilly than previous months, with temperatures around 16°C/61°F. Rains begin with a few occasional thunderstorms.
Wet seasons –October to April – Summer
It is wet, humid and hot during the summer months. It seldom rains all day, but heavy thunderstorms occur regularly.
- October & November – Afternoon storms are commonplace and it sometimes rains all day. Average temperatures range from 17°C/63°F in the morning to 30°C/85°F in the afternoon.
- December, January & February – This is a time of intense heat and humidity. Most days experience afternoon rains. Although peak temperatures are often much higher, averages range around 31°C/88°F in the afternoon and 21°C/70°F in the morning.
- March & April – Mild temperatures of around 28°C/82°F are the norm. Humidity lessens with the decrease in rainfall. Mornings are still warm at around 19°C/66°F.