User Reviews – Akagera NP

Many major species during a day's drive.

We were fortunate that it was not rainy. Road was excellent though unpaved. Animals and birds were everywhere. Trip requires an in-car park guide. Leo was great, knowledgable (particularly about birds), and connected to other guides for locating animals. Suggestion, have guide ride in front passenger seat. It allows better sightings. Some travellers in other vehicles complained they got to a location after everything happened.

There is a hill or mountain road which we did not take, but is worth asking about. There was plenty to see driving along the lakes which took most of the day.

We stayed in Rhino Lodge (an eco lodge on the ridge line overlooking the park and Tanzania border) which is a short distance from the park. There is an in park lodge which may currently under remodelling.

The park is well maintained and protected by authorities, but wildlife was difficult to spot.

Visiting Akagera National Park was my third game drive in Africa, followed by game drives in Kenya and Tanzania.

Akagera National Park is highly monitored and protected by local authorities against poachers. I was also told a percentage of the park fees are administered to neighboring communities so as to provide some economic income and deter poaching.

I know every game drive is different, and a lot depends on what and how many animals you see. However, my game drive in Akagera was really disappointing. I hardly saw any wildlife- zero in the first half of the drive. I think this was largely due to the fact that most of the park had recently been burned to 'control wildfires'. If I had known most of the park was recently burned, I would not have elected to go on the game drive as
I am sure this scared off most of the wildlife.

I recommend not visiting Akagera from June-August as this is when the park is burned. In addition, there is no off-roading allowed in the park. So, if wildlife are not close to the main road, it will be vey difficult to see them.

Akagera park give us a chance to spot big five Animals

• 4.0/5