Weather & Climate – Balule NR
Climate Chart Balule Nature Reserve – 500m / 1,640ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Winter and summer occur at opposite times in Balule as they do in North America and Europe. The summer months, October through April, are wet, hot and humid and recognized as the Wet season. The winter months, May through September, are mild and warm, as this is the Dry season. During the winter, the nights and early mornings are cold. Thundershowers are common during the Wet season, although it would be a rarity for it to rain the whole day.
Dry season –May to September – Winter
There is essentially no rainfall during the winter and very little humidity. Animals have difficulty finding water in the bush, so they group around permanent water sources during this time.
- May – May means summer time is at its end. Lower temperatures become normal. Expect temperatures of about 12°C/54°F in the morning and 27°C/81°F in the afternoon.
- June, July & August – Warm winter clothing becomes very important for cold morning game-drives in open vehicles (10°C/50°F average temperature). Afternoon temperatures are around 25°C/77°F and these months often have lovely, bright skies.
- September – The first rains quench the dry ground and temperatures slowly rise to an average of about 28°C/82°F during the afternoon. Mornings are fair with temperatures around 14°C/57°F.
Wet seasons –October to April – Summer
Summer brings hot, humid conditions that can be uncomfortable at times. It isn’t unheard of for temperatures to rise above 40°C/104°F. Average daytime temperatures are around 32°C/90°F. Afternoon storms occur frequently, although they rarely last long.
- October & November – Temperatures rise, and rain becomes a daily occurrence, usually in the afternoon. Temperatures typically range from 17°C/63°F in the mornings to 31°C/88°F in the afternoon.
- December, January & February – This is the time of the highest temperatures and the most rain. Massive downpours should be expected in the afternoon. Temperatures can rise above 40°C/104°F, with daytime averages of 32°C/90°F.
- March & April – As the weather cools, the rains taper off but continue into April. This is a time of lovely weather and clear, bright skies. Nights are fair with an average temperature of 16°C/61°F, while daytime temperatures average a pleasant 29°C/84°F.