Stuart is the author of numerous Lonely Planet guides to Africa including Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Ethiopia. He has also written a (now out of print) Bradt guide to Benin and has authored hundreds of magazine and newspaper articles and worked on numerous photographic projects.
Stuarts passion for all things African started young as he grew up listening to tales of his father's childhood in East Africa and his grandparents stories of working on the earliest English language editions of Kenyan newspaper, The Daily Nation.
In his late teens he set off on a backpacking trip through East Africa and Ethiopia. He has since returned numerous times travelling the length and breadth of the continent including extended periods in East Africa.
His adventures in Africa have seen him brushing the desert sands off Sudanese pyramids, hitching a ride in a cargo boat from Eritrea to Saudi Arabia, hunting with pygmies in CAR, meeting witches and spirits in Benin and surfing his way around southern Africa.
His favourite part of the continent though is East Africa and on his most recent trip he was accompanied by his wife and two young children who, after a stay in a Maasai manyatta, seem equally smitten.
Stuart is originally from southwest England, he now lives with his wife and children on the beautiful beaches of southwest France.
For more information about his work, please visit www.stuartbutlerjournalist.com
Expert Reviews (41) - written by Stuart ButlerBotswana
- Country review - - Africa at its Best
- Linyanti Concession - - The Mysterious Savuti Channel
- Okavango Delta - - The Most Beautiful Place in Africa
- Country review - - East Africa’s Most varied Nation
- Amboseli National Park - - Elephants under the snows of Kilimanjaro
- Arabuko Sokoke Forest Reserve - - Elephant Shrews and ghosts
- Buffalo Springs National Reserve - - The Mirror of Samburu
- Hell's Gate National Park - - Walk with Giants
- Kakamega Forest National Reserve - - Find Your Inner Tarzan
- Laikipia Plateau - - The Future of African Conservation
- Lake Bogoria National Reserve - - Sometimes pink tinged lake shore
- Lake Nakuru National Park - - The Family Friendly Park
- Lake Turkana - - Kenya’s Ultimate Adventure
- Lewa Wildlife Conservancy - - Conservation as Business
- Marsabit National Park - - Island in the Sky
- Masai Mara National Reserve - - East Africa at its Exotic Best
- Meru National Park - - Kenya's Forgotten Park
- Nairobi National Park - - Tower Block Safari
- Ruma National Park - - Remote and Rewarding Park
- Saiwa Swamp National Park - - Birds and swimming antelope
- Samburu National Reserve - - Exotic Samburu
- Shaba National Reserve - - The Wild North
- Shimba Hills National Reserve - - Bush and Beach
- Country review - - Wildlife in the Desert
- Etosha National Park - - Life in the Heat Haze
- Skeleton Coast National Park - - The Desert of Bones
- Country review - - African Safari Clichés at their Best
- Gombe National Park - - Jane Goodall’s Chimpanzee’s
- Katavi National Park - - Primeval Africa
- Mahale Mountains National Park - - Beach Bum Chimps
- Ngorongoro Crater - - More than a Crater
- Selous Game Reserve - - Africa’s Ultimate Wilderness
- Serengeti National Park - - Classic Africa
- Tarangire National Park - - Elephants on the March
- Country review - - The Beautiful Heart of Africa
- Kibale National Park - - The Worlds Best Chimpanzee Encounter?
- Queen Elizabeth National Park - - Amazing Diversity