Weather & Climate – Chobe NP
Chobe has a warm to hot climate, and there is a Dry and Wet season. It is advisable to bring warm clothing for boat trips and morning drives.
Climate Chart Chobe National Park – 919-1,061m / 3,015-3,481ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Dry season –April to October
The last showers marking the end of the Wet season normally fall in April. From May, the park becomes drier and drier as the Dry season unfolds. June and July are the coolest months; however, temperatures begin increasing in August and peak in October, which is aptly named ‘suicide month’ by the locals.
- April & May – These months mark the beginning of the Dry season. The vegetation is still green, and it is mostly dry and sunny. It is hot in the middle of the day, with temperatures climbing up to 29°C/84°F.
- June, July & August – There is very little rain in these months. It is a bit cooler now with afternoon temperatures climbing up to about 27°C/80°F. Early mornings are cold at around 08°C/47°F.
- September & October – As the Dry season draws to a close, it continues to get hotter before the rains break. October is very hot with average afternoon temperatures of 35°C/95°F. However, conditions at night and in the mornings are agreeable.
Wet season –November to March
The first rains are a relief. It doesn’t usually rain all day, but thunderstorms in the afternoon and short showers are common. It’s hot throughout the season with afternoon temperatures of around 31°C/88°F. Mornings are pleasant, although it starts to cool down at night in March.
- November & December – Conditions are hot and sunny. Temperatures tend to build before it rains, and then drop afterward. Early mornings are pleasant – temperatures average about 19°C/65°F.
- January & February – The first two months of the year are the wettest. There is usually rain in the afternoon, but only for a few hours. Heavy storms are a regular occurrence.
- March – The rains are lessening. There is still rainfall every couple of days though, and it mostly comes as a thunderstorm. Mornings are cooler at 17°C/63°F.