User Reviews – Kafue NP

Road on the way was not so bad,and in the park, we saw a lot.
Camp site was also exiting, so close to wildlife and unexpectedly clean and comfortable.
Food was also nice, thanks to our nice guide who knows a lot about nature.

Potentially One of the Finest National Parks in Africa

I just spent 11 days in Kafue National Park and loved it. In fact I feel that with better overall management it could be and deserves to be one of the finest National Parks in Africa.

I saw lions,elephants,hippos, herds of red lechwe, oribi and bush pigs,sable and roan. I also saw a leopard. The birding was just fantastic.

I stayed at Mukambi Plains and Musekese Camp. I just loved the hosting and thought that the guiding was exceptional in both of them. The wilderness " exceptional".

The reason why I don't rate it even higher is because I feel that Kafue needs better overall management. I am happy that Paul Tudor Jones is really opening up a lodge and that hopefully African Parks will come in and manage it. This is a great park and I really admire the work that Tyrone Mckeith, Phillip Jeffrey, the Van Der Heides, and others are doing to support the local community and conservation.

I visited Kafue National park during the green season. I loved the remote feel of the park, but it would have been a more satisfying experience later in the dry season. The birding was very good, though, and made up for the absence of animals.

South Lwange experience couldn't have been improved. Amazing lodgings, wildlife, guides, service in camps, food, etc. Kafue is a bit behind on those matters. Better to go to Kafue in the north end of the park in Aug or Sept.

Disastrous Kafue

I am afraid to say, our trip to Kafue was a disaster in terms of game, very little to see. I think when the new North/ South road was built I think most of the game was eaten/killed, we saw more game in Pilandsberg game reserve.
It was a real pity, next te we will try South Luangue.

Utter remoteness in this vast park yet still close encounters ensued.

I travelled with my family to stay at the Busanga Plains camp, a fly camp of Mukambi. The six hour drive from the lodge to Busanga was a true African experience. Although we had little time to stop and digest the animals (we were on a schedule) and were subjected to the traditional African massage, we saw a vast array of mammals and birds and the drive's length just cemented how remote our camp was.
The bush camp was incredible, from the restaurant terrace several hundred red lechwe could be seen grazing and perhaps a dozen fish eagles screeching, truly a wonder. The tents provided everything we needed, obviously being a temporary camp it was nothing on the main lodge but it was fulfilled our needs perfectly. The food also was fantastic. Waking up first thing in the morning and sitting in the restaurant watching the lechwe in the low mist is a truly magical experience that I would recommend to any animal lover.
The drives were top notch; the Busanga lions are the most beautiful I have seen, with fantastic dark manes. We were lucky to get close to a fresh buffalo kill and watch them interact. We encountered great herds of Roan, wildebeest, zebra and a few bachelor elephants amongst others. For the purists, we did not encounter another vehicle on our trip, a true indication of our remoteness and allowed all these sightings to be personal. Our guide was excellent, very knowledgable and worked tirelessly to track down the species my siblings wanted for their tick-lists.
A great destination.

stunning location, remote, true africa!

I can say, I'm quite an experience Africa Traveller (many safaris over the last 15 years in Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana, Southafrica, Kenya). With the time my research for places with few tourists, an intact wildlife and a stunning scenery became always more sophisticated and so I decided this time for a safari in Zambia. The Kafue National Park, I stayed in the Busanga plains, have for sure been one of my most exciting safari experiences: in a park as big as the whole region of Tuscany there are merely a few camps (in the part where I stayed there where just 3 of them with a maximum of about 8 guests each). It is hard to meet another car out in the wild, not to speak about situations like in the serengeti, where you can find 25 car around a single lion...
I don't know whether it's ufficially permitted, however, the very experienced drivers go often offroad to take you closer to the animals - surely with few cars in this wast area this is not a problem. And it gives you uncredible photographic opurtunities. We came accross some lions hunting a hippo. We saw many elephants and also rare animals as the serval cat.
Of course also the "simple" luxury of the camp, the great food, the stunning location (elephants visit our tent many times, antilopes are grazing always in front of the camp in the great swamp area, added something to the feeling of "out of Africa". A highlight of course was the balloon flight.
The only real disturbing thing in the Kafue are the Tsetse flies. They where the first animal greeting us as soon as our plane landed and the pilot opened the window. That is when I got my first bite, many others followed. The area around the airstrip is worse, the guides know that and avoid it. But also in other places tsetse can be found (I never saw one in the camp). If I ever plan to return to Kafue I will prepare very well with even better safari cloths then those I already had and some really good repellent (but I'm not sure if it exists - autan and others do not help).

Kafue : A Truly Wonderful Experience

We recently visited the Kafue National Park in Zambia. Having visited Southern Africa for safaris several times before (South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania, Botswana) we decided that we wanted to visit somewhere a little bit different and a little bit rawer. It was suggested that we visit Zambia and the Kafue. We were not disappointed.
Kafue has the feel of a park the is yet to be truly discovered. The natural beauty of the country and the low key feel of the park made for a unique visit. There is plenty of wildlife to be seen, cheetahs was a first for us, and the amount of different birdlife on the river is remarkable. There is maybe not the amount of wildlife that we have seen in other countries but there is certainly the diversity to make up for it, plus you can drive all day with your guide and on most days not see another vehicle or boat. You get the impression that some of the wildlife there have never seen a jeep or a boat before too!
We visited three camps and they were all excellent. The standards are very high with regard to guiding and the accommodations. Everything was just.......great.
In summary, a truly wonderful experience and we are now discussing on how can better this for our next visit to Africa. It's not going to be easy.

Kafue National Park, Birderwatchers Paradise, Big-game galore

Recently we spent 3 nights out of a 12 night safari at a camp along the Kafue River on the northern edge of the Kafue National Park. During the days we both boated along the Kafue River and drove into the park in Land Cruisers. The bird life along the river was amazing. I was able to identify with the help of the local guide over 70 bird species - Bee-eaters, Hornbills, Barbets, Africa Finfoot, Eagles, Geese, Herons, etc. Too numerous to list them all. The big game species were also very special. Along with Elephants, Wildebeest, Bushbucks, Red Lechwe, Warthog and other big game species, we also saw unique species not seen elsewhere on our travels. Such as Puku, Yellow Baboon, Velvet Monkey and Grey Defassa Waterbuck. While traveling in boats we had close encounters with Hippos and Crocs. On after dark drives we saw genet and serval's. As we were there in early June there were no bugs, and no rain. A perfect time and place to experience all that Africa has to offer.

A safari to see wild wildlife. Unlike some safaris the animals arent used to a human presence

Kafue is a huge park, we adventured only in South Kafue. It is an amazing safari for wild adventure feeling. Located in Zambia and more difficult to access than other big parks it gets few tourist. Kafue used to have a problem with poaching so it was known even by locals to not animals, this is starting to change. Kafue contrast to Chobe in that the animals take notice of you and some times flee, or in the case of one elephant get defensive. On the other hand Chobe felt like a zoo, yeah you see lots of animals but most dont even give you a second glance as you join the line of land rovers circling the water front.

We drove our on 4x4 and the roads were well maintained. In fact since we came from Kalomo the parks roads were better maintained those to get there. If you need to be babbied then this is probably not the safari for you. The lodge we stayed at provided everything we needed, beer, water and fire wood. They did have other accomidations but I can't comment on those as we camped.

Highlights were seeing two lion cubs that were less than 2 months old and seeing no other safari vehicles. In the three days we were in the park I think we passed 3 vehicles, and two of them were together.

• 4.4/5