Weather & Climate – Lengwe NP
Climate Chart Lengwe National Park – 78-166m / 256-545ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Lengwe has a hot climate with a Wet and Dry season. Being in the tropics, the average temperature is quite stable year-round. In the Dry season, the days are cooler, and the nights in particular get a bit cold, from May to September. There is a noticeable increase in temperature in October, before the rains begin.
Dry season –May to October
There is almost no rain in the Dry season. The bush gets more and more dry as the season progresses, and animals congregate at the waterholes. The Dry season is the best time for wildlife viewing. It is hot during the day, but cool at night.
- May – This heralds the beginning of the Dry season. The bush is still lush and there is a lot of water around, but precipitation has become minimal.
- June & July – There is very little rain and the bush is drying out. These are the coolest months, with daytime temperatures around 28°C/82°F. It gets chilly at night, with average temperatures of around 15°C/59°F. Warm clothing for early morning drives is essential.
- August & September – It doesn’t rain at all. The bush is thirsty now – the rains can’t come soon enough. It is warming up – September has an average daytime temperature of 33°C/91°F. Mornings are getting warmer.
- October – Daytime temperatures keep increasing, and average 36°C/97°F. Peak temperatures can be much higher, with the heat unbearable in the middle of the day. Mornings are lovely with temperatures around 22°C/72°F. Sometimes, the first rain falls in this month.
Wet season –November to April
Afternoon showers are common in the warm Wet season, and there are thunderstorms, often spectacular. The sky is clear and the bush is lush.
- November – The rains usually start in November. The rains come as a relief because the bush is extremely dry. The average daytime temperature is 36°C/97°F. It doesn’t rain every day, and rain mostly comes in afternoon thunderstorms.
- December, January, February & March – The wettest months bring rain most days, but rarely lasting the whole day. Daytime temperatures average 33°C/91°F, while night and early morning temperatures average around 21°C/70°F.
- April – This is a lovely month. There is less rain but everything is lush and green.