Weather & Climate – Liwonde NP
Climate Chart Liwonde National Park – 473-783m / 1,552-2,569ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Liwonde experiences a hot climate with a Wet and Dry season. The average temperature is quite uniform throughout the year, though it does spike in October before the rains set in.
Dry season –May to October
Rainfall is scarce during the Dry season. The bush dries out as the season progresses and the wildlife don’t move far from the river. Wildlife viewing gets better as the season progresses. The days are hot but nights are cool.
- May – The Dry season has begun, and while water is still plentiful and the bush still quite lush, it doesn’t rain much anymore.
- June & July – The rain has stopped completely, and the bush is drying out. These are the coolest months with daytime temperatures around 26°C/79°F. It gets cold at night – average temperatures hover at 14°C/57°F. Don’t forget a jacket for early morning drives.
- August & September – It is still completely dry. The bush is parched and starting to thin. It is warming up and September has an average temperature during the day of 31°C/88°F. Mornings are getting milder.
- October – Daytime temperatures reach an average of 33°C/91°F, although it can peak much higher with conditions unbearable in the middle of the day. Mornings are ideal at around 20°C/68°F. The first rain usually falls this month, and temperatures drop after the rain.
Wet season –November to April
Welcome to the warm Wet season. Towards the end of this season, access to the park might be by boat shuttle along the river, if roads are closed. It rains in the afternoons and there are spectacular thunderstorms. Skies are clear, and the bush is lush.
- November – The rains (which usually begin in November) come as a relief from the very hot and dry conditions. During the day, the average temperature is 33°C/91°F. When it rains, it’s usually in the form of afternoon thunderstorms.
- December, January, February & March – These are the wettest months of the year, bringing rain most days, but it doesn’t usually last the whole day. The mercury hovers around 30°C/86°F in the daytime, while nighttime and early morning temperatures average 21°C/70°F.
- April – Everything is lush and green in this lovely month as the rains wind down.