Mgahinga Gorilla NP- Overview Mgahinga Gorilla Safaris
About Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
Mgahinga Gorilla NP is an alternative destination to Bwindi for mountain gorilla tracking in Uganda. Mgahinga is part of the Virunga Mountains, which are situated in the border area between Congo, Rwanda and Uganda. The habituated gorilla group here used to be quite nomadic and sometimes moved across the border, making this park less reliable for gorilla tracking. The group has, however, settled in the area for the last three years and Mgahinga is now considered a reliable option for tracking gorilla.
- Mountain gorilla tracking
- Fantastic scenery with views over volcanic cones
- Activities include hiking to volcanic peaks, golden monkey tracking, Batwa cultural trail and caving
- Easier to obtain last minute permits here than in Bwindi
- The nomadic gorilla group occasionally ventures out of the park
- Access roads are bad in the rainy season
- Very expensive gorilla tracking permit
Aside from the endangered mountain gorilla, Mgahinga is home to many other mammal species. However, as in all forests, animals tend to be hard to spot. The very rare golden monkey, endemic to the Albertine Rift, can also be tracked. Other mammals include black-and-white colobus, buffalo, elephant, bushbuck and duiker.
More about Mgahinga's wildlife
Mgahinga is Uganda’s smallest park. It forms part of the Virunga Mountains and adjoins with the parks across the borders of Congo and Rwanda. The entire park is at a high altitude, and the views are out of this world. The most prominent feature is the volcanic cones of extinct volcanos in the mountain range.Want to visit Mgahinga Gorilla?
Safari Reviews- Mgahinga Gorilla
All 9 user reviews