Weather & Climate – Mitsinjo Forest
Philip is a renowned Africa expert and author of many guidebooks to African destinations, including the Insight guide to Madagascar.
Philip is a renowned Africa expert and author of the Insight Guide to Madagascar.
Philip is the author of the Insight Guide to Madagascar.
Climate Chart Mitsinjo Forest – 900m / 2,953ft
Located in the Madagascar highlands, Mitsinjo has a wet and cool climate. It rains throughout the year, but the winter months, from May to October, are considerably drier than the wet summer months from November to April. Warm waterproof clothing is essential throughout the year.
Dry season –May to October – Winter
It is cool and less humid than in the Wet season. It still rains regularly but downpours are much lighter and less frequent. It is cold at night with an average temperature of 11°C/52°F.
- May – It rains less towards the end of the month. Afternoons are temperate with temperatures reaching 25°C/77°F, but evenings and early mornings are cooler with temperatures of around 13°C/55°F.
- June, July, August & September – It cools down to daytime temperatures of 21°C/70°F in July and nights are cold at 9°C/48°F. It can still rain any day but showers are less frequent.
- October – It starts to warm up slightly to an average daytime temperature of 25°C/77°F. Nights are less chilly at 13°C/55°F.
Wet season –November to April – Summer
It is warm and humid in the Wet season. Because of the high altitude, it never gets really hot. It rains a lot. January to March is cyclone season. Daytime temperatures average at 27°C/81°F.
- November – This is the beginning of the rainy season. Rains usually start towards the end of November. It warms up a little and daytime temperatures reach 27°C/81°F.
- December, January, February & March – In December the rainy season kicks in and most days see heavy downpours. Rain increases in January, and between January and March there is a chance of cyclones and torrential rains. It is warm and humid. Daytime temperatures reach 28°C/82°F.
- April – The heavy rains cease and temperatures start to drop. In the daytime it gets to around 26°C/79°F and at night temperatures are around 15°C/59°F.