Weather & Climate – Nkhotakota WR
Climate Chart Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve – 500-1,638m / 1,640-5,374ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Nkhotakota has a warm climate and there is a Wet and Dry season. Although temperatures remain fairly constant, there is a notable increase in October, before the rains arrive. It gets quite cold at night in the Dry season (May to September).
Dry season –May to October
There is very little rainfall in the Dry season. Animals are easier to spot as the bush dries out and wildlife gathers around the remaining water. It is hot during the day, but much cooler at night. Warm clothing for early morning game drives is recommended.
- May – This is the start of the Dry season. The bush is beautiful and still lush and there is a lot of water around, although the rain has dropped off.
- June & July – There is no rain and the bush is getting drier. Daytime temperatures will nudge 24°C/75°F, while nights are much cooler struggling to reach 12°C/54°F. Don’t forget warm clothing for early morning game drives.
- August & September – The rain has ground to a complete halt and the bush is starting to look very dry. It is warming up, and September has a pleasant average daytime temperature of 26°C/79°F.
- October – This is the time when temperatures can be brutal. Although the average is 30°C/86°F, temperatures peak much higher. Mornings are lovely, with temperatures around 19°C/66°F. The first rain sometimes falls this month, with the temperature mercifully dropping after the rain.
Wet season –November to April
It tends to be very humid as well as warm during the Wet season. Afternoon showers are common, and thunderstorms are often dramatic. The sky is clear, and the bush looks green and healthy.
- November – The rains usually start in November and conditions are hot and humid. The rain comes as a relief. During the day, temperatures are around 30°C/86°F. It doesn’t rain every day but when it does, it usually comes in afternoon thunderstorms.
- December, January, February & March – The wettest months mean rain most days, but it usually doesn’t rain all day. Daytime temperatures average 27°C/81°F, while night and early morning temperatures average about 19°C/66°F.
- April – A lovely time of the year as the rain is winding down but the landscape is lush and green.