Weather & Climate – Phinda GR
Climate Chart Phinda Game Reserve – 48-112m / 157-367ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Phinda, being in the southern hemisphere, has a winter and summer season which occur at opposite times in comparison to Europe and North America. Winter is from May to September and summer from October to April. Phinda’s climate is sub-tropical and the Wet season occurs during the hot and humid summer months. Winters are dry and characterized by cool nights and pleasantly warm days.
Dry season –May to September – Winter
Although occasional showers can occur due to the coastal proximity of the park, there is very little rain during the winter. The heat is more bearable than during summer time, and the skies are sunny and clear.
- May – As average temperatures cool to 14°C/57°F in the morning and 26°C/79°F in the afternoon, the summer comes to an end. Rains decrease, along with the humidity.
- June, July & August – Afternoon temperatures are pleasant, around 25°C/77°F. At night, the average drops to around 11°C/52°F, causing mornings to be rather cold. It is essential to bring warm clothing.
- September – This month means a rise in temperatures, averaging around 27°C/81°F during the day. Mornings are warmer at an average of 15°C/59°F. Rains begin, often in the form of thundershowers.
Wet season –October to April – Summer
Afternoon thunderstorms are typical during the hot, humid summer, but it seldom rains all day.
- October & November – It sometimes rains all day and regularly rains during the afternoon. Temperatures average between 18°C/64°F in the morning and 28°C/82°F in the afternoon.
- December, January & February – It rains almost every day, but mostly in the form of afternoon storms. The average daytime temperature is 31°C/88°F, although it can climb much higher. The morning has more pleasant average temperatures of around 20°C/68°F.
- March & April – There is less rain and humidity and afternoon temperatures fall to a more bearable level, averaging around 29°C/84°F. Morning temperatures average a comfortable 18°C/64°F.