Reviews

Sarah   –
Visited: October 2019 Reviewed: Oct 16, 2019

Email Sarah  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Responsive and Easy to Coordinate

Gems of Africa was quick to respond to a request for a quote for my trip to Pilanesberg for a 2 day safari. They gave me a couple of options at different lounges and the booking process was smooth. My only critique was that I would have liked more information on the transportation side. I arranged for a transfer from my hotel in Johannesburg to the park and I wasn't even sure what kind of car to expect. The driver was courteous and the ride was OK.

Jelmar   –
Belgium BE
Visited: September 2019 Reviewed: Sep 25, 2019

Email Jelmar  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

it was an amazing experience, everything was well handled and the safari was super

this was our first multiple day safari. the booking was really easy, there was good communication and enough information for our trip. the lodge was beautiful and the game drives were amazing.

Catherine   –
United Kingdom UK
Visited: September 2018 Reviewed: Oct 3, 2018

Email Catherine  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

Aquila is not a safari. It is a game park. As long as you understand that...

I am in South Africa for just a short time. I didn't want to schlep up to the Kruger for a safari. This seemed ideal. 2 hours from cape town and reasonably priced. The pluses - food was good and plentiful. The staff were nice. John the safari guide was funny and knowledgeable. The minuses- the luxury cottages are not really luxury. The paint was peeling. There was graffiti on the door , the outside shower was very badly put together and it was dirty outside especially the table.

The camp is basically a very large zoo so you are guaranteed to see lions. To be fair to the camp the lions are rescued canned lions and are unable to fend for themselves.

So my advice is just go for the night. You will get two games drives which will basically be the same. Don't bother with the horseback safari unless you really like just strolling around.

Reply from Gems of Africa Safari and Tours
Reply from Gems of Africa Safari and Tours
Posted on Oct 3, 2018

Dear Ms Munro,

Thank you very much for your feedback as Gems of Africa Safari & Tours do not own Aquila Private Game Reserve but we will most definitely pass the information on to Aquila Private Game Reserve's Management as it can only assist them in making sure they offer the best service and facilities possible. We at Gems of Africa Safari & Tours want to make sure that our guests have an enjoyable time. We only offer it as an option for guests who are short on time in South Africa, will be staying in Cape Town and would like to possibly see the BIG 5.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and that your guide was funny and knowledgeable. When we went to visit, that is what I did enjoy, was the guide. I learnt quite a bit on the game drive. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the horseback safari, we have many, including myself, who enjoyed it very much especially if you have the opportunity of coming across elephant, buck and giraffe on horseback.

We trust that your experience with the quoting and booking process with Gems of Africa Safari & Tours and our travel enthusiasts was satisfactory. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Kind Regards
Janine Bouwer
DIRECTOR
GEMS OF AFRICA SAFARI & TOURS

Tanya   –
South Africa ZA
Visited: June 2024 Reviewed: Jul 3, 2024

Email Tanya  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: over 5 safaris

Very helpful especially with the changes I made

their service was great and everything was in plac

bob   –
Indonesia ID
Visited: May 2024 Reviewed: Jun 17, 2024

Email bob  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

the level of customer satisfaction and communication is superb and next level

Gem of Africa offers lots of options and variety of tour and you can easily chat with them through whatsapp or phone call. that is super helpful!

Gem of Africa offers a superb communication especially Janine Bouwer. She replied to my chat on whatsapp pretty on time and strive to hear customer's concern, needs and request.

My wife all of sudden (3 days before the trip) is unable to do the 5 days 4 nights trip that I have already booked and paid in full to Gem of Africa and want to change to 3 days 2 nights. Janine could have simply refused to refund like other Company would do but instead she tried to find the alternative options and offered to refund the price diffence.

Our tour guide is Asanda. He is very kind, helpful, polite, and fun. I would definitely recommend Gem of Africa to the world. Special thanks to Janine and Asanda. Our family was very happy.

Barbara   –
Visited: May 2024 Reviewed: Jun 3, 2024

Email Barbara  |  65+ years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

Wonderful Safari experience!

They made it very easy to book our Safari to Aquila Game Reserve! It was great value for our money! We got notified about everything & even got a call the day before confirming our transfer time! Our transfer driver was wonderful & everything at Aquila Game was amazing! We were so happy we chose the Premier Lodge room. It was big with a view overlooking the Reserve and we saw numerous animals as we sat on our balcony! Each Game Drive was different & we saw the animals in different areas of the Reserve. Beautiful scenery while on our Drives! The wine & snacks midway through the evening drives was a nice touch! I was nervous about this booking & if it would live up to our expectations. But, it exceeded our expectations! Thank you for everything!

Melroy   –
United Arab Emirates AE
Visited: May 2024 Reviewed: Jun 2, 2024

Email Melroy

Excellent confirmation of booking and transparency of inclusion's.

Gems Of Africa responded with the information required with full clarity. Janine was assigned to us to get the information and booking was confirmed without much delay.
As promised our transfer to Gondwana was arranged and available.
Tom our tour guide and driver for the transfer was professional and kept us engaged during the transfers.
The Gondwana staff also mirrored the information that Gems of Africa had shared and our stay was without any problems.
The reserve also arranged our game drives and we are thankful to Janine and the Gems of Africa team for making our holiday memorable.

Nikolaos   –
Greece GR
Visited: April 2024 Reviewed: Apr 29, 2024

Email Nikolaos  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Great guys

There suggested very nice to do and activities in South Africa and they arranged everything, we didn’t have to worry about anything!

Maureen Piper   –
New Zealand NZ
Visited: April 2024 Reviewed: Apr 29, 2024

Email Maureen Piper  |  65+ years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Reliable and communicative

We have just finished a two night stay on the Garden Route. I can only speak in superlatives about our experience. From the reservations consultant to the driver to the accommodation to the food to the staff, everything was wonderful and exceeded expectations. The breakfast was the best we have eaten anywhere in the world.

For other travellers: we were not given an option about the standard of our accommodation, so ended up in a luxury two bedroom villa, when we would have been just as happy in the cheaper option of a one bedroom villa on the same property, which also looked great. We were also incorrectly advised by the reservations consultant that we would have a 50% chance of seeing the big five, when the property only had the big four. These two issues did not affect our enjoyment of our stay, but it's important for transparency.

I would definitely use this tour operator again, but it's important to ask all the questions when booking.

Anja   –
Switzerland CH
Visited: February 2024 Reviewed: Mar 19, 2024

Email Anja  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

Smooth!

Our group of friends embarked on an unforgettable Safari experience thanks to the exceptional service provided by Gems of Africa Safari & Tours. From the initial booking to accommodating our last-minute changes, they went above and beyond to ensure a seamless journey. We couldn't be happier with our experience and eagerly look forward to booking with them again in the future!

4.9/5

Disclaimer

• All corporate and/or tour info is provided by Gems of Africa Safari and Tours, not SafariBookings
  • The tours offered by Gems of Africa Safari and Tours are subject to their terms & conditions