Weather & Climate – Sabi Sands
Sabi Sands experiences winter and summer at opposite times to Europe and North America. October to April are the hot, wet summer months while the warm and arid winter occurs from May to September. Although winter days are dry and mild, it is cold in the mornings, so warm clothes are advised for morning and evening game drives. Expect thunderstorms in the afternoon during the Wet season, though it generally doesn’t rain all day.
Climate Chart Sabi Sand Game Reserve – 302-504M / 1,079-1,654Ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Dry season –May to September – Winter
For the most part, it doesn’t rain during the winter and humidity is low. Permanent water sources become a place for animals to gather, making them easier to spot.
- May – May marks the end of the summer season. Typical temperatures are around 12°C/54°F in the morning and 26°C/79°F in the afternoon as the weather cools.
- June, July & August – Due to the cold mornings (9°C/48°F), it is wise to bring along warm clothing for morning game drives. There will be cloudless skies in the afternoon and temperatures will be pleasant – around 25°C/77°F.
- September – The first rains bring relief and alleviates the dry conditions as the heat rises to an average afternoon temperature of 28°C/82°F. Mornings are mild with average temperatures around 14°C/57°F.
Wet seasons –October to April – Summer
Summer can be hot and humid and at times to an uncomfortable level. Temperatures often reach 40°C/104°F, while average daytime temperatures range up to 32°C/90°F with high humidity. Afternoon storms are normal, yet all-day rainfall is rare.
- October & November – Temperatures increase and afternoon rains become more frequent. Typical temperatures run from 15°C/59°F in the morning to a 30°C/86°F high in the afternoon.
- December, January & February – These are the months of the most precipitation and highest temperatures, coupled with intense humidity. The average afternoon temperature is 32°C/90°F, but it is not unusual for it to reach an insufferable 40°C/104°F.
- March & April – The rain decreases and it gradually cools. This trend continues into April, which is the most pleasant month with little rain, less humidity and sunny skies. Night temperatures fall to 16°C/61°F and daytime temperatures of 28°C/82°F are typical.