User Reviews – Sabi Sands

Lesser sightings than at Phinda. Main highlights were leopard and lion cubs and cubs suckling mother lioness.

The Sabi Sands Game Reserve is privately owned, which makes it more attractive from my point of view. You can get VERY close to the animals and the guides are allowed to go offroad, so if you spot an anmial, you can follow it! Unlike in the Kruger Park, where you need to stay on the roads. Also, there are not many people in this reserve - this is the real bush vibe from :-)

For all of the same reasons I listed above, people are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, the animals are right there, the accommodations are lovely, and the food and wine are delicious. I will return if I can make the opportunity arise.

Leopards, leopards, leopards!

We saw so many animals, it was amazing.

Very beautiful. Nice that it was allowed to drive off road. It made the game drive more authentic.

You could drive right up to the animals and we saw a lot of them!!

Same as above , same area. Same facilities

A beautiful reserve with an amazing wildlife

We really enjoyed our safari at Sabi Sands. First of all, in only two days, we managed to see the Big Five, plus a variety of other animals (antelopes, giraffes, hyenas, zebras, hippopotamus). The weather was nice, dry, a bit cold in the morning and night as it is supposed to be at this period of the year (winter). We stayed at Umkumbe Lodge, a human sized, owner run lodge, which really makes you feel at ease. Guides and staff were helpful and friendly, dinners around the camp fire were excellent and the sundowners in the middle of nowhere are a must. The situation along the Sand river allows you to watch the wildlife coming to the river just from your room.

Raveged by drought

I booked a Sabi Camp for my photography tour I was leading, as I had heard Sabi Sands was the best place in the Kruger area. I bet it is when not ravaged by drought. There was very little to eat for the grazing animals so many had left, the predators were doing well off animals dying from drought. Our camp was only permitted in a small portion of Sabi Sands and I'm guessing there were better areas in the reserve. Although we had some great sightings my photo tour guests and I, chose to spend extra time in Kruger where the Sabi River was still flowing. I will return to Sabi Sands and hopefully next time it will live up to it's great reputation.

• 4.9/5