User Reviews – Samburu NR

This was the first park we encountered on the road and it was so exciting to see giraffes all taking a drink in the river, elephants munching on leaves, zebras and crocodiles along the shore by our hotel.

This was our first park and we saw so many animals. (I didn't even know there were different kinds of zebras.) Our game lodge was on the river so we could watch the crocodiles, elephants and birds hanging out and fishing. This was my second favorite park because of the number of animals.

Samburu was such a different place than the other parks in Kenya. It is warmer here but the wildlife was incredible there is quite a variety of wildlife. It was a unique experience. The birding was good but there are better places-- Lake Nakuru. The Samburu tribesmen were very interesting to see. The park is very nice and we would return here in the future.

Easy access to animals. Only place we saw Leopard, narrow stripe Zebra and Riticulated and Rothchild Giraffe

Another excellent safari in a new [to me] park

Elephant Bedroom lived up to its name as ele's munched outside our tent. Also saw herds of 25 and 60+ ele's which, after sniffing us, walked calmly past. About 50 walked past each lunchtime on the other side of the river. Leopard in a tree was a plus, but pity we missed the cheetah. Grevy zebra, reticulated giraffes, large herds of oryx, rare Somali ostrich, usual gazelles including dik dik, plus gerenuk, warthogs etc. and plenty of birds, too. The well-appointed tents were very comfortable, gourmet food, staff friendly and our driver, Julius, was excellent, managing to find a lioness and three cubs before anyone else did! The only negative: the weather was cooler than expected/usual with a pesky strong wind.

Samburu lived up to & exceeded all of my expectations

I visited Samburu National Reserve in the last week of February 2018. The weather was beautiful everyday. I stayed at Larsens Tent Camp which was a wonderful 5 star experience with exceptional service & food.
The very first day we arrived at Samburu we saw most of the wildlife we hadn't seen elsewhere, such as Greater Kudu, Somali Ostrich, Gunther's Dikdik, Beisa Oryx, Vulturine Guineafowl, Gerenuk, Grevy's Zebra, Reticulated & Rothschild Giraffes as well as many different bird species and a special highlight was seeing a Striped Hyena, as well as seeing the usual, most still fantastic wildlife Samburu has to offer.
Our guides supplied by Rhino Safaris through Cheesemans' Ecological Safaris were outstanding. They were extremely knowledgeable, thoughtful and great drivers.
I would highly recommend Samburu National Reserve to anyone interested in going on a safari in Kenya and I would love to go back one day myself!

A rugged beauty - a sense of the wild.

I liked Samburu but it seemed as though it was a bit on the small side for the number of safari outfitters there- thus when a lion or leopard were spotted there were immediately 10 vehicles chasing after it.

Great diversity of wildlife and ecosystems. Could have spent longer than our 2 days here. So much to see.

Just that bit different and special.

We are travelling back to Samburu in January 2016, for our 7th visit, which has to say something about the reserve. We have spent time in the Masai Mara, Nakuru, Amboseli, Tsavo all of which are beautiful and have been privileged to witness some amazing game viewing, but for me Samburu has a special place in my heart and I feel as if I am 'home'. It probably has a lot to do with the number of elephants and the close encounters we have experienced in their company, but Samburu is special and totally different to all the other reserves, mentioned above, that we have visited.

• 4.7/5