User Reviews – Samburu NR

A rugged beauty - a sense of the wild.

I liked Samburu but it seemed as though it was a bit on the small side for the number of safari outfitters there- thus when a lion or leopard were spotted there were immediately 10 vehicles chasing after it.

Great diversity of wildlife and ecosystems. Could have spent longer than our 2 days here. So much to see.

Just that bit different and special.

We are travelling back to Samburu in January 2016, for our 7th visit, which has to say something about the reserve. We have spent time in the Masai Mara, Nakuru, Amboseli, Tsavo all of which are beautiful and have been privileged to witness some amazing game viewing, but for me Samburu has a special place in my heart and I feel as if I am 'home'. It probably has a lot to do with the number of elephants and the close encounters we have experienced in their company, but Samburu is special and totally different to all the other reserves, mentioned above, that we have visited.

Unforgettable experience

Congratulations has to be given to my guide, Steven from Rhino Safari, he was very knowledgable, helpful, accommodating and took care of us. I wanted to see a Leopard and he delivered! He went above and beyond my expectations.

Samburu was, in my opinion, the ultimate all round intimate safari experience. For example staying near the river, the game drives in Buffalo Springs. I preferred Samburu to the Masai Mara as it was more personal towards the animals.

The food was excellent, I actually returned from Safari heavier! The local people cannot do enough for you.

Overall I would highly recommend going to Kenya and in particular Samburu. Africa is a beautiful country with beautiful wildlife and people. I feel very fortunate to have experienced this in my lifetime.

Samburu was the hottest park (in terms of weather) and the wildlife, is simply unique to each of the parks.

Small but very interesting birding and wildlife destination

Wild life was plentiful and within easy reach . Birding was very good

On of the best National Reserves in Kenya!

One of the best places I have been in Kenya in 31 years of traveling around Kenya! The wildlife is prefuse and qutie friendly and accustomed to vehicles. The roads are fine as far as park roads go and the river is magnificent! We stayed at the nicest campsite under huge old acacia trees with a very helpful campsite attendant who much to our amazement was able to source cold beers and fresh bread and milk from out of thin air.

The drive to Samburu from Nairobi is an easy one, there is a very good cafe mid-way just before Nanyuki - One Stop Cafe opposite Barneys airfield. Camping and park fee's for what the experience is worth should be much higher as it is in almost all Kenyan parks.

If you want to see the South of the North of Kenya - Samburu is your park - if you dont like camping, Elephant Bedroom Camp is the best place to stay by a mile.

This place is wild! Wild and beautiful. The Ewaso Ng'iro river makes it even more beautiful with animals flocking to its shores to quench their thirst every day.

It was incredibly hot and dry when I visited, but what I saw made up for the weather. We spotted a leopard in tree and saw its mother bring back a kill. I stayed a Elephant Bedroom camp - simply stunning accommodation, great views and the odd elephant wandering through camp. Listening to lions at night right by camp was awesome.

• 4.7/5