User Reviews – South Luangwa NP

Fantastic first safari, few people and lots of animals.

This was a fantastic 4 day safari, 2 days at Kapani Lodge and 2 days at a very luxurious bush at Mchenji with Norman Carr Safaris. We saw more than 60 different species of animals and birds during those days. The guides and scout were exceptionally well trained and knowledgeable on most aspects of the wildlife and plants. A very personal service was provided and the night drives were terrific for seeing hippos feeding on land and several leopards, a very special treat. A great destination for all the great African mammals except cheetah and rhino.

During the two 3-4 hour drives each day we only met other a couple of 4x4. There was none of that following along in a queue of traffic! The food and the accommodation were also 1st class. I highly recommend this place.

The South Luangwa River attracts heaps of animals, and one can camp just outside the park, on the banks of the river. It is my ideal safari experience, to be immersed IN the wilderness. No need to drive all day. Just live in the outdoors and be an organic member of it all.

The national park in Zambia with the best infrastructure and the highest densities of animals and a very diverse landscape. All this offers a premier safari experience competing with the best areas in the whole of Africa.

Walking safaris! South Luangwa is the birthplace of walking safaris in Big 5 country, and still one of the most magical places to do it in. Some of the best game guides in the business share their knowledge here, showing you the big and small wonders of the African bush. The night drives in southern Luangwa are also legendary, with regular sightings of leopards, civets and gennets. This is one of the wildest and most beautiful Parks I have had the pleasure of spending time in.

Have been there 05+06. + Nice park+wildlife,Accomodation. - rather busy park

Wildlife,Accomodation and transportation very good. Unfortunately the park is rather busy with quite a lot of visitors that is why you don`t really feel like in the wilderness. But it is not yet mass tourism.

A beautifull night and day safari

On the way to malawi we made a detour to see this beautifull park.

We drove from Chipata to the park and it was a beautifull drive.

We stopped at a camp site with an amazing view on the river and with a lot of hippos nearby. At night we had our first night safari and we managed to see practically all the night active wildlife of the park...wonderfull. The day after we had a day safari and again we managed to see lions, Hippos, elephants and many other animals.
I really recomend a visit in this park!

This cannot really explain, it just took my breath away. HUGE heards of Zebra, HUGE heards of elephants, and some scary and excting close encounters with roaring lions!

Lots of wild life and I felt I was in the wild the whole time I was there.

Too many people to my taste.

wildlife in some areas was not great for the time of year, much better nearer to the river - bush camps were superb and staff were excellent.