Weather & Climate – Vwaza Marsh WR
Climate Chart Vwaza Marsh Wildlife Reserve – 1,091-1,572m / 3,579-5,157ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Vwaza Marsh has a warm climate with a Wet and Dry season. Its location in the tropics means that the average temperature doesn’t vary much throughout the year, although there is a notable spike in temperatures in October before the rains. Days are cooler (and it gets quite cold at night) in the Dry season from May to September.
Dry season –May to October
The bush gets drier as the season progresses. Animals tend to congregate around the lake and other water sources. It is pleasant during the day, but the nights can get cold. Warm clothing for early morning game drives is recommended.
- May – This is the beginning of the Dry season. The bush is still lush, but the rains fall away.
- June & July – There is no rain and the bush is drying out. Daytime temperatures average a very pleasant 24°C/75°F. At night the mercury drops, with average temperatures around 10°C/50°F. Don’t forget to rug up for early morning drives.
- August & September – No rainfall. The bush is starting to look parched. Temperatures are rising, and September has an average daytime temperature of 29°C/84°F. Mornings are getting less cold.
- October – Daytime temperatures increase to an average of 31°C/88°F. Peak temperatures are higher with the heat oppressive in the middle of the day. Mornings are lovely with temperatures around 18°C/64°F. Sometimes, the first rain falls in this month. Temperatures drop after the rain.
Wet season –November to April
In the Wet season, the sky is clear and the bush is lush. It is warm, afternoon showers are common, and thunderstorms are often spectacular in the Wet season.
- November – The rains usually begin this month. With the bush so dry, the rain is a relief. It’s hot and humid during the day. The average temperature is 31°C/88°F. Rain mostly comes in afternoon thunderstorms, but not every day.
- December, January, February & March – It rains most days during the wettest months, but it rarely lasts the whole day. Daytime temperatures average 27°C/81°F, but that drops to about 18°C/64°F at night and in the early morning.
- April – The rains usually come to an end sometime in April. The landscape is lush and green in April – a lovely month to visit.