Weather & Climate – Central Kalahari GR
The Central Kalahari has a hot desert climate and experiences a distinct Dry and Wet season. It is recommended to bring warm clothing for early morning drives in the Dry season – especially June to August.
Climate Chart Central Kalahari Game Reserve – 941-1,132m/3,087-3,714ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Dry season –April to October
The last rain of the Wet season usually falls in April. From May onward, the park becomes more and more parched as the Dry season progresses. June and July are the coolest months, but temperatures start rising in August and peak in October and November.
- April & May – This is the beginning of the Dry season. It is mostly dry and sunny. The middle of the day is pleasant with temperatures rising to 28°C/82°F.
- June, July & August – These months see almost no rain at all. It is cooler now, with afternoon temperatures reaching up to 24°C/75°F on average. Early mornings are chilly at about 6°C/43°F.
- September & October – This is the end of the Dry season. It gets hotter and hotter before the rains break. October is extremely hot with average, afternoon temperatures of 33°C/91°F. Nights and mornings are pleasant.
Wet season –November to March
It is a relief when the first rains come. It immediately cools down, and the dust settles. It rarely rains all day, but afternoon thunderstorms and short showers are the pattern. It stays hot throughout the season, with afternoon temperatures of about 32°C/90°F. Mornings are pleasant.
- November & December – It is hot and mostly sunny. It only rains every now and then, and it mostly comes as a relief. Early mornings are the most comfortable, with average temperatures of about 18°C/64°F.
- January & February – These are the wettest months. It rains some afternoons, but it is usually over in a few hours. Heavy storms are common.
- March – The rains are dwindling. It can still rain every couple of days, and it mostly comes in the form of a thunderstorm. Mornings are slightly cooler at 17°C/63°F.