Katavi National Park- Overview Katavi Safaris
About Katavi National Park
Katavi is pure wilderness. This classic Dry-season park is completely off the beaten track, but teeming with wildlife.
- Good general wildlife viewing in the Dry season
- Hippo pods converge in spectacular numbers in the Dry season
- Unusual antelope species, like sable and roan
- Very exclusive and doesn't get crowded
- Difficult to get to and accommodation options are limited
- Animals are scattered during the Wet season, and most lodges are closed from March to May
There might not be the widest variety of wildlife on the average drive, but sightings tend to be spectacular, and you'll mostly have them to yourself. While lion are very common, the more remarkable sightings are buffalo herds that number in the thousands and the hippo, which are pushed into small pools as the river dries up. Pods of them share too small a place, and fights are a common sight.
More about Katavi's wildlife
The habitat is mainly grassland savannah and brachystegia (miombo) woodland on the east of the park. After the rains, the place transforms to lush marshes and shallow lakes, leaving behind dusty floodplains of the Dry season.Want to visit Katavi?
Safari Reviews- Katavi
Very remote in western part...I only stopped there on way to Mahale park. canals restrict viewing because you cannot cross canals. Lots of Hippos.
All 16 user reviews