Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

By George Wilkinson from United KingdomGB
| 20-35 years of age | Experience level: first safari
Visited: August 2016  -  Reviewed: 30 Nov 2016

3 nights at Twee Rivieren

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the park with Kalahari Tours and Travel. I had a busy schedule so I could only spend three nights at Twee Rivieren, from which we drove up towards Nossob and Mata Mata. My guide Dennis was incredibly helpful and great at spotting wildlife that I would otherwise have missed.

The wildlife was very impressive, with large numbers of the typical herbivores as well as a few giraffe, southern kudu and red hartebeest. We enjoyed fabulous views of a leopard, two cheetah groups and several honey badgers, but we were unsuccessful with lions and hyenas. The night drive was well worth the small fee and cold temperatures, with six wildcats, a bat-eared fox and many springhares and spotted eagle-owls.

Observing the small birds was difficult as we were confined to our vehicle. However, this was more than made up for by the number and diversity of raptors, including tawny eagles, bateleurs, goshawks, secretarybirds, black-shouldered kites, lanner falcons, martial eagles and jackal buzzards. We also saw the majority of my other targets, such as kori bustard, Burchell's sandgrouse and both southern yellow-billed and African grey hornbills. The scenery was beautiful and provided a great backdrop for photos.

All in all a great trip, although a longer stay would have been great for seeing more of the park's inhabitants.
... more

• Leopard
  • Southern Yellow-billed Hornbill
  • Jackal Buzzard

By Raffaella from ItalyIT
Visited: August 2016  -  Reviewed: 28 Nov 2016

one of the best park where to see animals

By Brendon White from South AfricaZA
| 20-35 years of age | Experience level: over 5 safaris
Visited: August 2016  -  Reviewed: 17 Sep 2016

An arid wilderness heaving with wildlife

The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (KTP) is a really special place. It is extremely arid and hot, yet the wildlife and bird life (raptors in particular) are extremely abundant.
The park basically consists of two roads that run along the two (dry) riverbeds that run through the park, the Nossob and the Auob. Along the rivers, vast views are limited because they are both surrounded by the famous red dunes of the Kalahari, but that is not an issue because the water points are all along these rivers which attracts all the wildlife, plus the dunes really are beautiful.

I gave a 5 star rating for everything and I'm tempted to warn readers that I gave these rates based on an arid savanna benchmark where seeing a lion and a few birds within a few days is a good trip but that is far from the case in the KTP as you will find loads of wildlife!

Accommodation wise, I have camped at Mabuasehube on the Botswana side which was awesome (lions came in to drink our dirty shower water and would cause shivers right down our spines as their deep calls vibrated right through us in the night)! As well as in a research camp within the park close to Twee Rivieren, this camp is unavailable to tourists so not much use in me telling you about it. I also can't really speak for the rest of the accommodation as I have never stayed at any of the other camps. I can however, recommend going as deep into the park where there are less people and you can enjoy the true essence of being out in the bush. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter because you'll want to spend every woken moment out there game viewing.

If you are reading this and on the fence about wanting to go to the Kgalagadi Tranfrontier Park, do it. You will not be disappointed.

Enjoy!

Brendon.
... more

• Lioness with a shocked expression

By jean-marc from BelgiumBE
| 50-65 years of age | Experience level: first safari
Visited: January 2016  -  Reviewed: 18 May 2016

A great desert and wildlife experience

The KTP is full of different species and it's a great experience to see the animals in their life space. The best at the KTP is the experience of the Gharagab tented camp. We are alone on this camp and the road is a single track to the camp, a bit more difficult than the normal tracks but truly 4x4. The view is without any limit and we can have an idea of the dimensions of the Kalahari desert. Wildlife is everywhere and there is always some animals to observe.

By thewildlifephotographer from United KingdomGB
Visited: December 2015  -  Reviewed: 26 Apr 2016

Utterly fabulous, if you like that sort of thing

Kgalagadi is a superb place to visit at any time of the year, but November/December marks the transition from the end of the dry season as the rains can come at any point. It's hot, very hot, but worth is to see some incredible wildlife at close hand. The heat and lack of vegetation means a lot of action around the waterholes - great for predators but not so much fun for the prey. The landscape is, at times, breathtaking (if you like it dry and empty). Steer clear of the madding crowd around Twee Rivieren, head up to Mata Mata and/or Nossob for a wonderful and exciting experience but be prepared for basic accomodation.

I'm a pro wildlife photographer and I've been three times now (December, March and June). It's my favourite destination and I just love this park.

• Giraffe at sunrise in the Auob river valley

Link to this review 1 person found this review helpful. Did you? Yes | No

By Graham from United StatesUS
| 20-35 years of age | Experience level: 2-5 safaris
Visited: November 2015  -  Reviewed: 19 Apr 2016

From birds to mammals to scenery, Kgalagadi has it all.

The wildlife at Kgalagadi is the main reason to go, in my opinion. You'll have a great chance of seeing lions, meerkats, eland, gemsbok, ostrich, warthogs and more. As a birder, I enjoyed seeing things like Verreaux's Eagle Owl, Secretarybird, Black-chested Snake-eagle, swallow-tailed bee-eaters and many, many more. The facilities/accommodations are excellent as well, and the park is easily accessible and well-maintained. The massive Kgalagadi Transfrontier Pakr is one of the gems in the excellent South African National Park system, and one of the few that is comparable to Kruger.

By Francois Barnard from South AfricaZA
| 35-50 years of age | Experience level: 2-5 safaris
Visited: August 2014  -  Reviewed: 26 Nov 2015

Amaizing

Everything where very good! One night it was very very cold. But otherwise it was good. I will recommend the park to all our friends. We saw lots of lions, cheetha and other animals. The food in the Restaurant at Twee rivieren were excellent. The restrooms were clean all the time. We have a great time!

By Sumarie Slabber from South AfricaZA
Visited: November 2015  -  Reviewed: 21 Nov 2015

A must for nature lovers!

By Grey World Nomads from FranceFR
| 50-65 years of age | Experience level: over 5 safaris
Visited: May 2015  -  Reviewed: 15 Nov 2015

Kgalagadi is a unique destination, a game park in a arid region. The wildlife is spectacular, albight the absence of elephants, crocodiles and hippos. Therefore there are stunning sightings of cats. The road infrastructure is fair and the camps have everything you need - from accommodation to food.

By Johan Jooste Snr from NamibiaNA
| 50-65 years of age | Experience level: over 5 safaris
Visited: April 2015  -  Reviewed: 4 Oct 2015

The park is excellent for photographing the animals and birds, especially the big cats.

The park offers so much in terms of very often a exclusive opportunity to be with wild game, be it the many different antelope species found there or some of the big cats like, cheetah, leopard and lion. Another plus is the fact that one gets quite close to the animals since most are very tamed. Then if one is real lucky, a kill by a predator is often seen in the park by visitors, so for photography, it's excellent. There are two points in my view that needs attention, namely the bad condition of the gravel roads and lately also the pile-up of vehicles at a "cat-sighting" that seems to occur more-and-more.

Link to this review 1 person found this review helpful. Did you? Yes | No

SafariBookings Expert Panel

Our panel of 22 experts wrote a total of 930 reviews about the countries and parks we cover.