Weather & Climate – Kruger NP
Climate Chart Kruger National Park – 140-783m / 459-2,569ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Kruger experiences winter and summer at the opposite times as Europe and North America and they correspond to the Dry and Wet season, respectively. The wet summer months (October to April) are hot and often humid. Dry winters (May to September) are warm and mild although it cools off considerably at night. It is advisable to take warm clothing for early morning and evening game drives. During the Wet season, it rarely rains all day, but afternoon thundershowers are common.
Dry season –May to September – Winter
There is virtually no rainfall during the whole of winter, and the humidity is very low. Animals are attracted to permanent water sources as water becomes scarce in the bush.
- May – This is a transitional month and marks the end of summer. Temperatures are cooling down to typically 12°C/54°F in the morning and 27°C/81°F in the afternoon.
- June, July & August – Morning game drives in open vehicles will be cold, so it's recommended to pack warm winter clothing. The average morning temperature is 10°C/50°F. Afternoons will be pleasant with temperatures around 26°C/79°F and cloudless skies.
- September – The heat gradually builds to about 29°C/84°F in the afternoon, and the first rains bring relief from very dry conditions. Mornings are less cold with temperatures around 14°C/57°F.
Wet seasons –October to April – Summer
It can be uncomfortably hot and humid in summer. Peak temperatures frequently reach well over 40°C/104°F, although average daytime temperatures reach 32°C/90°F with high humidity. It seldom rains all day, but the pattern is afternoon storms.
- October & November – It gets warmer and starts to rain more often, mostly in the afternoon. Temperatures are between 18°C/64°F in the morning and 31°C/88°F in the afternoon.
- December, January & February – These are the wettest and hottest months, characterized by torrential downpours in the afternoon and high humidity. Afternoon temperatures are usually around 32°C/90°F but can soar up to an unbearable 40°C/104°F.
- March & April – Rainfall decreases, and it slowly gets colder. April has lovely, clear weather and few clouds. The nights get a bit chillier but are still pleasant at about 18°C/61°F. Daytime temperatures are around 30°C/64°F and the humidity drops.