Lewa Wildlife Conservancy- Overview Lewa Conservancy Safaris
About Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
Lewa is one of the prime sanctuaries of Laikipia Plateau. It is known for its outstanding conservation record and development work in the local community. It offers excellent wildlife viewing and is one of the best places in Kenya to see the Big Five. Sightings are common of both black rhino and white rhino, and it’s also a stronghold for the endangered Grevy's zebra. A range of activities including open-vehicle game drives, walks, horse and camel treks are available.
- Excellent wildlife viewing with all of the Big Five present
- Great sightings of black and white rhino
- Many activities available including night drives, horse riding and walking
- Excellent food and service; bush breakfast and picnic lunches offered
- Stunning views of Mount Kenya
- The cattle and fences take away some of the wilderness appeal
- There is only a small animal-viewing circuit
- Most wildlife has been re-introduced so it can lack authenticity
Lewa Wildlife Conservancy offers excellent wildlife-viewing opportunities. All of the Big Five are present and the sightings of both black and white rhino are unsurpassed. Elephant, cheetah and lion are easily seen, while leopards are more hit and miss. Lucky visitors might come across a pack of wild dogs as they move in and out of the area. Northern Kenya specials such as Reticulated giraffe, Grevy's zebra and Beisa oryx are also present.
More about Lewa Wildlife Conservancy's wildlife
The snow-capped peak of Mount Kenya dominates the view at Lewa Wildlife Conservancy. A large swamp area is fringed by yellow fever trees, and several hills offer lookout points over the surrounding semi-arid plains. The Ngare Ndare Forest Reserve is now also part of the Conservancy.Want to visit Lewa Conservancy?
Safari Reviews- Lewa Conservancy
I can't say enough good things about Lewa. Visiting Lewa was one of the greatest experiences of my life. The wildlife, the birds, the scenic vistas, the people, the commitment to the animals and the community. It was all awesome. It truly inspired a ...
All 7 user reviews