Best Time to Visit – Lochinvar NP
Philip has travelled through Zambia several times and is the author of more than 20 guidebooks to various African destinations.
Philip is the Zambia expert for SafariBookings and author of more than 20 guidebooks to Africa.
Philip is our Zambia expert and author of more than 20 guidebooks to Africa.
Water sources in the bush dry out from July to October – the middle and end of the Dry season. At this time animals tend to congregate around the Chunga lagoon, the main area accessible to visitors. Therefore, July to October are the best wildlife viewing months. The floodplains might be difficult to access during the Wet season.
May to October –Dry Season
- Wildlife viewing is at its best during the dry months
- It is sunny, and it rarely rains
- There are few mosquitoes, and the risk of malaria is minimal
- The sky is very hazy, and the bush looks parched
- October is very hot
- Mornings are cold and warm clothing is necessary
November to April –Wet Season
- Scenery is green and fresh – this is called the ‘emerald season’
- December to January is the mating season for the Kafue lechwe
- The best time for birding as migrants are present
- Many newborn animals are seen
- The floodplains become difficult to approach
- Wildlife viewing is better in the Dry season
- Roads are in bad condition, and game drives are more limited
- Hot and humid conditions
- Malaria is a bigger concern than in the Dry season
Best Time to Go to Zambia by Major Park