User Reviews – MalaMala GR

Sheer luxury, straight Out of Africa.

We arrived at Mala Mala by Land Rover through the bush and left by airplane from the local airstrip, which is an interesting experience in itself. Once you arrive at the lodge, you feel like you're about to bump into Meryl Streep or Robert Redford right around the corner, or sipping a drink in the confortable bar. The accomodation is first class, with the possibility of having breakfast and dinner at your porch, watching herds of animals roam by just a stone's throw from where you're enjoying your wine.

The Wildlife, The Luxury, What More Can One Want?

Mala Mala is a game reserve located on the outskirts of the Kruger National Park, and the wildlife is able to travel freely between the two. When one travels to Mala Mala, a stay pretty much guarantees a Big 5 viewing, and lucky there is lots of game to view. The guides are extremely knowledgable, and the whole experience is incredible. The only downside to Mala Mala is that it isn't a place for anyone who is looking for a true bush experience, because it is so luxury. The food is amazing, and eating outside in a true-African boma is a great experience. Truly a treat for anyone looking for a luxury bush experience.

Put your camera down for a while and let your senses soak it in!

We enjoyed a very informative guide who was very accommodating of guest's preferences. The animals were awesome and provided great photo opportunities. The accommodations, food and service were fabulous. I highly recommend that you make the trip.

Once in a Lifetime

I think this is the best trip I've had because I got experience things I had never seen before. Besides, how many people do you think have been on an African safari? Not many, I can tell you that. Basically, what happens is that your ranger does everything for you. He is your waiter, driver, bar tender, etc. You are always in good hands and I highly recommend going to Mala Mala. Here is an awesome video if you want to learn more about the lions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1AqV-lwSfA

I liked Mala Mala a little bit better because it was easier to find and see more animals in a game ride.

Great game viewing (the didn't even had to use a tracker), great accomodation.

Bush Paradise

We have just returned from our third visit to Mala Mala & as usual, cannot speak highly enough of of our experience. Special mention must be made of Leon, ranger Adi ( previous Rangers Jonno & Paul) & indeed the entire staff who were courteous & friendly. The accommodation is clean, comfortable & attractive, the food is good & lots of it! Only wish was that the orange juice could be freshly squeezed & alcoholic drinks could be complimentary till say 8 pm!!

The crown jewel of Southern Africa's Nature Reserves

Just keeps getting better!

This was my second visit to MalaMala (lucky I know!) so I had very high expectations - especially as on my previous stay we ticked off all the Big 5 just between the airport and Main Camp and saw both a lion and leopard kill on our first game drive! This time however it was the accommodation that totally knocked my socks off. Sable Camp has been transformed into a modern, fresh, chic safaris lodge whilst maintaining its authentic character. I loved that the his and hers bathrooms have been knocked into one big bathroom with both a bath and shower. Its had a real injection of "wow" factor so please ignore the rating saying it looked tired and in need of a refurb! Main Camp was busy being done up in May and the team said it should be for the most part complete in July (think they said they would do the last few rooms on the one end of camp at the end of the year). The decks, lounges, bar etc all look fabulous.

The game viewing again was amazing and a real highlight was watching two leopards mating right in front of us as well as seeing loads of different lion with our guide Lucky, who grew up in the reserve. It far exceeded all expectations and I cannot wait to go back again.

Top quality and intimate wildlife viewing - luxury done well without going over the top

Being one of the largest privately-owned game reserves in South Africa with an unfenced eastern border with Kruger National Park and the still flowing (late August) Sand River going through the length of the reserve, it should not have come as a surprise that we had seen the big five and much more in the first 24 hours at Mala Mala. The quality of the sightings was exceptional.
Wildlife viewing at Mala Mala is as intimate as it could ever get. The accommodation was beyond expectations - it was luxurious but without pretence. The quality of food was top draw, but served with a delicate simplicity. The gentle professionalism of the camp staff was welcome and the passion, knowledge and professionalism of our wonderful Ranger, Nic Nel, capped it all off.
With Nick’s invaluable expertise the wildlife viewing over the four days provided us a truly unforgettable experience that included:
― daily leopard sightings, including the Nkoveni female making a kill and the Island bend female and cub sharing a kill;
― several prides of lion, including the four inquisitive three-month old cubs of the Kambula pride as well as the rare sighting of two females in a tree fighting over a leopard-kill of an Impala;
― daily sightings of white rhino, including young;
― numerous elephants, including an incredible half an hour in the middle of a 20+ herd and the unforgettable antics of the young ones showing off;
― spending time at a spotted hyena den with curious and ungainly pups playing around, but being totally alert scampering into the den at the slightest sound or shadows cast by birds flying overhead;
― buffalo, kudu, a honey-badger, ostrich, hippo, owls, eagles, voyages of giraffe, baboons, saddle-bill storks with young, the unusual hamerkop heron, kingfishers and much more.
We cannot see how the wonderful Mala Mala experience can be bettered. The one negative of this place - saying goodbye. What was to be our ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ safari is not so! We are already planning our next visit. Totsiens for now.

• 4.9/5