Best Time to Visit – Maputo NP
Philip is a renowned Africa expert and author of many Bradt guidebooks to African destinations, including the guide to Mozambique.
Philip is a renowned Africa expert and author of the Bradt guidebook to Mozambique.
Philip is the author of the Bradt guidebook to Mozambique.
Maputo National Park is not a prime wildlife destination. Aside from wildlife viewing, the park is visited for its beaches, 4x4 tracks, fishing, snorkeling and boating. Depending on your interests, the park is best at different times of the year. July to October are the best wildlife viewing months. July to November is the time to see humpback whales during their annual migration. December to late March is when the turtles are laying their eggs on the beaches.
May to October –Dry Season
- Wildlife viewing is at its best
- Sunshine with little rainfall
- Conditions are pleasant, and it isn’t too hot
- There are few mosquitoes around and malaria risk is minimal
- Humpback whales can be seen
- The bush looks dry and scenery is less spectacular
- Mornings are cool from May to September
November to April –Wet Season
- Landscapes are green and lush
- Prime bird-watching time in the park
- There are many newborn animals
- Evenings and mornings are lovely and temperate
- Turtle season is from December to March
- Wildlife viewing is better in the Dry season
- Very hot and humid during the day
- Malaria prevention is a bigger concern