​Expert Reviews – Ts'ehlanyane NP

Expert
Ariadne van Zandbergen   –
South Africa ZA
Visited: November

Ariadne is a renowned African wildlife photographer whose work is featured in many well-known guidebooks and magazines.

1 person found this review helpful.

A luxury retreat in a wild mountain setting

Ts’ehlanyane National Park is one of Lesotho’s top attractions. Its center is Maliba Lodge, one of the best hotels in the country. The combination of great hiking opportunities and a lovely place to stay makes this a winning destination. The trails are well marked but guides are available upon request. We set out early to tackle the 16km ‘Circular Route’ which takes in a cascading waterfall, a forested valley, bubbling mountain streams and several spectacular viewpoints. The cherry on top was a small herd of eland, which ran for cover as soon as they spotted us. The rugged high-altitude mountainous terrain makes for challenging hiking conditions, and the massive thunderstorm, which came out of nowhere, added to our adventure. Back at the lodge, we enjoyed a hearty dinner and a good bottle of wine in front of a roaring log fire. I further rewarded myself with a therapeutic massage treatment at the outdoor spa nestled amongst indigenous forest. I left rejuvenated and knew I would be back one day to discover more of this stunning park, perhaps on horseback.

Average Expert Rating