Weather & Climate – Addo Elephant NP
Addo Elephant National Park receives an average rainfall of less than 450mm/17.7in per year. Unlike the summer rainfall pattern covering most of the country, rainfall is relatively evenly distributed throughout the year, but there are two peaks: in February-March and October-November. It can cool down to freezing in mid-winter. The park ranges from the coast to the Zuurberg Mountains, creating a wide range of altitudes. The main park area is at low altitude (under 250m).
Climate Chart Addo Elephant National Park – 0-950M / 0-3,117Ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Winter – May to September
The winter months are very cold at night and in the early morning. It is advisable to bring winter clothes – especially for open-vehicle game drives during these times. Winter sees even less rainfall than summer and the skies are usually clear.
- May – This is the beginning of winter. Temperatures cool down to a typical 8°C/46°F in the morning and 23°C/73°F in the afternoon.
- June & July – These are the coldest months. The average morning temperature is 5°C/41°F, but it sometimes gets to freezing at night. Afternoon temperatures are around 21°C/70°F.
- August & September – It is gradually getting warmer, with an average temperature of 23°C/73°F in the afternoon. Mornings are not quite as cold with temperatures around 7°C/46°F.
Summer –October to April
Summer has more comfortable temperatures and a bit more rainfall. Some days might be cloudy and it might drizzle for a day, but it is mostly sunny.
- October & November – It gets warmer and temperatures are between 11°C/52°F in the morning and 25°C/77°F in the afternoon. October is a peak month for rain. It won't rain every day, but it might drizzle sometimes for the whole day.
- December, January & February – These are the warmest months with afternoon temperatures reaching 28°C/82°F. Mornings are comfortable at about 15°C/59°F. December and January have less rain, but this picks up a bit in February.
- March & April – March is the wettest month, but it seldom rains for days on end. It starts to cool down again with an average daytime temperature of 26°C/79°F in the afternoon and 14°C/57°F in the morning.