Weather & Climate – Addo Elephant NP
Climate Chart Addo Elephant National Park – -14-901m/-46-2,956ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Addo Elephant National Park receives an average rainfall of less than 450mm/17.7in per year. Unlike the summer rainfall pattern covering most of the country, rainfall is relatively evenly distributed throughout the year, but there are two peaks: in February-March and October-November. It can cool down to freezing in mid-winter. The park ranges from the coast to the Zuurberg Mountains, creating a wide range of altitudes. The main park area is at low altitude (under 250m).
Winter –May to September
The winter months are very cold at night and in the early morning. It is advisable to bring winter clothes – especially for open-vehicle game drives during these times. Winter sees even less rainfall than summer and the skies are usually clear.
- May – This is the beginning of winter. Temperatures cool down to a typical 8°C/46°F in the morning and 22°C/72°F in the afternoon.
- June & July – These are the coldest months. The average morning temperature is 6°C/43°F, but it sometimes gets to freezing at night. Afternoon temperatures are around 20°C/68°F.
- August & September – It is gradually getting warmer, with an average temperature of 23°C/73°F in the afternoon. Mornings are not quite as cold with temperatures around 8°C/46°F.
Summer –October to April
Summer has more comfortable temperatures and a bit more rainfall. Some days might be cloudy, and it might drizzle for a day, but it is mostly sunny.
- October & November – It gets warmer, and temperatures are between 12°C/54°F in the morning and 25°C/77°F in the afternoon. October is a peak month for rain. It won't rain every day, but it might sometimes drizzle for the whole day.
- December, January & February – These are the warmest months with afternoon temperatures reaching 29°C/84°F. Mornings are comfortable at about 16°C/61°F. December and January have less rain, but this picks up a bit in February.
- March & April – March is the wettest month, but it seldom rains for days on end. It starts to cool down again with an average daytime temperature of 27°C/81°F in the afternoon and 14°C/57°F in the morning.