Amboseli National Park- Overview Amboseli Safaris
About Amboseli National Park
Amboseli is classic Africa. Often called the 'Land of Giants' – due to the impressive elephants here carrying massive tusks – the animals are set against breathtaking vistas of Mt Kilimanjaro, which makes an awesome backdrop to the small park. Aside from elephants, many plains animals are easy to spot (as are other visitors, it’s a popular place). Fantastic photo opportunities are possible, and early mornings are best for clear views of Kilimanjaro.
- Excellent wildlife viewing with four of the Big Five present (no black rhino)
- Outstanding elephant sightings
- Views of Kilimanjaro on clear days
- Excellent birding, especially waterbirds in swamp habitat
- Good range of accommodation catering to different budgets and styles
- The park gets very busy, especially in the high season
- Big cats are relatively hard to spot
Amboseli offers great wildlife viewing, and four of the Big Five are present. Rhinos are absent, but big herds of elephants reliably move to and from the marshy swamps in the center of the park. Buffalo, wildebeest, Burchell's zebra and gazelle are all very common. Lions are the easiest to spot of the big cats, but sightings are hit-and-miss.
More about Amboseli's wildlife
The park encloses an interesting variety of habitats including dusty plains and marshy swamps, but it is the backdrop of snow-capped Kilimanjaro towering above the Amboseli plains that attracts most visitors to this scenic park.Want to visit Amboseli?
Safari Reviews- Amboseli
All 82 user reviews