Weather & Climate – Amboseli NP
Conditions in Amboseli NP are hot and dry. Drought is common in this area, although when it rains it typically falls as short, heavy showers. During the day expect average temperatures of around 28°C/82°F and 15°C/59°F at night. Early morning activities, such as game drives, require warm clothing. Peak rainfall periods are in April and November. The ‘long rains’ usually fall from mid-March to mid-May while the ‘short rains’ are from late October to mid-December.
Climate Chart Amboseli National Park – ,124-1,169m / 3,688-3,835ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Dry season –June to September
These are the coolest months and typically have bright, sunny days. It is very dry with practically no rain.
- June & July – It is normally sunny. Expect average temperatures of around 25°C/77°F in the afternoon.
- August & September – Daytime temperatures are on the rise until the rain breaks. Although temperature peaks are far higher, the average in September is about 26°C/79°F.
Wet season –October to May
The Wet season is marked by the ‘short rains’ followed by the ‘long rains’. January and February is a drier interlude that splits the Wet seasons. Driving can be a challenge in April and May when rains cause road conditions to deteriorate.
- October, November & December – The rains generally begin at some point in October and peak in November. Normally it doesn’t rain for the whole day; however, afternoon storms are common. The average temperature is 28°C/82°F during the day, but it increases before it rains.
- January & February – The exact start and finish of this Dry period separating the Wet seasons is never predictable. February, though, is the hottest month, and the average afternoon temperature is 30°C/86°F (expect higher peaks).
- March, April & May – The long rains generally start mid- to late-March. It seldom rains for the entire day, but afternoon showers can be expected. The wettest month is April. Expect temperatures in the afternoon to reach 28°C/82°F.