Aardvark, this bizarre creature – the animal that opens every English dictionary – is unlike anything else you might meet on safari. Although fairly common, its shy, nocturnal habits mean that sightings are extremely rare.
5 Fascinating Facts:
- An aardvark may use its ribbon-like 30cm-long tongue to gather up to 50,000 ants in a single night.
- Powerful limbs and spade-like claws allow an aardvark to dig up to 60cm in 15 seconds. It seals its nostrils while digging to prevent them from clogging up with dust.
- Disused aardvark burrows provide homes for many other creatures. From wild cats and wild dogs to pythons, porcupines and even the rare blue swallow.
- The aardvark has an entire scientific all order to itself. It is the only species in the genus Orycteropus, which is the only genus in the family Orycteropidae. Which, in turn, is the only family in the order Tubulidentata.
- It is often assumed that they are related to South America’s anteaters. But the features that they have in common result from ‘convergent evolution’ and are simply shared adaptations to a diet of ants. In fact, they are completely unrelated to anteaters, and share a distant African ancestor with elephants, hyraxes and dugongs.
More to learn
You've heard the expression "the more I learn, the more I realize the less I know". Well, this is true of African wildlife. There are so many species out there. There is so much to see and discover. It's exciting, really. At SafariBookings, we always gather information and post informative articles about the wildlife you will see on safari. And we also share some rather interesting traveller stories and anecdotes about wildlife encounters. So tell us your stories and share them on Facebook! We'd love to hear from from fellow wildlife watchers. Photos are always welcome. Check out some of ours on Instagram.
African Safari Tours
11-Day Discover Western Uganda Safari
$2,950 pp (USD)
Uganda: Private tour
Mid-rangeLodge & Resort
You Visit: Entebbe (Start), Kampala (City), Kibale NP, Queen Elizabeth NP, Kazinga Channel (Queen Elizabeth NP), Ishasha (Queen Elizabeth NP), Bwindi NP, Lake Bunyonyi, Lake Mburo NP, Entebbe (End)
Yala Safaris Uganda
4.7/5 – 59 Reviews
6-Day Pearl of Africa Trip Including Gorilla Trekking
$1,822 pp (USD)
Uganda: Private tourBudgetLodge & Tented Camp
You Visit: Entebbe (Start), Kibale NP, Queen Elizabeth NP, Bwindi NP, Lake Bunyonyi, Entebbe Airport (End)
Home To Africa Tours and Travel
4.9/5 – 143 Reviews
6-Day Majestic Tanzania - Luxury
$3,010 to $3,660 pp (USD)
Tanzania: Private tourLuxuryLodge & Tented Camp
You Visit: Arusha (Start), Tarangire NP, Lake Manyara NP, Serengeti NP, Ngorongoro Crater, Arusha (End)
Soul of Tanzania
5.0/5 – 187 Reviews