These scavenging raptors are the hyenas of the skies, playing a vital ecological clean-up role by disposing of decomposing carcasses. Broad wings allow Vultures to soar effortlessly for hours. Acute eyesight enables them to locate their quarry from miles away. And potent stomach acids help them deal with the most putrid carcass.
5 Fascinating Facts About Vultures
Of ten species that occur in Africa, the lappet-faced vulture (Torgos tracheliotos) and cape vulture (Gyps coprotheres) are the largest. Both have wingspans that may reach 2.9m.
- Vultures preserve a strict pecking order at a carcass, both among different species and between individuals of the same species. At a typical savannah gathering, the huge and aggressive lappet-faced vulture dominates. It uses its powerful bill to open up the carcass for others.
- Vultures use thermals to soar to prodigious heights. A Ruppell’s vulture sucked into a jet engine at 11,300m above Abidjan, Cote D’Ivoire,. It holds (posthumously) the altitude record for birds.
- The naked head of a typical vulture is an adaptation to ensure that no feathers become soiled when it feeds inside a carcass;. It also helps in thermoregulation, allowing it to lose or preserve heat by hiding or exposing its head according to conditions.
- A vulture can cram up to 1.kg of carrion into its crop – a distensible sack, located in front of its esophagus. Vultures cannot depend upon finding food daily, so this supply works as a packed lunch. When disturbed, a it will empty its crop for a quick take-off and escape.
- The small Egyptian vulture (Neophron percnopterus) provides one of the best-known examples of tool-use in the animal kingdom. It opens the eggs of large birds, including ostriches, by tossing small stones at the shell. It repeats the action until the shell cracks. This action was first observed by famous primatologist Jane Goodall in Ngorongoro crater, in 1963.
More on African Wildlife
African Safari Tours
5-Day Tanzania Luxury Safari Tour
$3,583 to $3,765 pp (USD)
Tanzania: Private tourLuxuryLodge & Tented Camp
You Visit: Arusha (Start), Tarangire NP, Lake Manyara NP, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti NP, Arusha (End)
4.9/5 – 72 Reviews
4-Day Safari Lodge Experience
$1,073 to $1,181 pp (USD)
South Africa: Private tourLuxuryLodge
You Visit: Johannesburg (Start), Kruger NP, Greater Kruger, Johannesburg Airport (End)
5.0/5 – 107 Reviews
4-Day Tanzania Secrets Safari
$850 to $1,000 pp (USD)
Tanzania: Private tour
Mid-rangeLodge & Tented Camp
You Visit: Arusha (Start), Lake Manyara NP, Ngorongoro Crater, Tarangire NP, Arusha (End)
Kiliholidays Tours & Safaris
4.9/5 – 168 Reviews