Mahale Mountains NP- Overview Mahale Mountains Safaris
About Mahale Mountains National Park
In Mahale, the chimpanzees are the star attraction. There are roughly 800 chimps in the park, of which about 60 individuals are very habituated to people. The research and habituation in Mahale is a Japanese project that goes back as long as Jane Goodall's research in neighboring Gombe NP.
- A chance to come face to face with chimps, one of Africa's big apes
- The park is much bigger than Gombe; the more famous chimp park
- Pristine forest at the shore of Lake Tanganyika
- Watching wildlife on a hike is a nice change from vehicle safaris
- Very exclusive and doesn't get crowded
- Difficult to get to and accommodation options are limited
Mahale's chimps are the main attraction, but the park supports a diverse forest fauna, including readily observed troops of red colobus, red-tailed and blue monkeys, and many colorful forest birds.
More about Mahale's wildlife
The park is a chain of wild, jungle-draped peaks towering almost 2km above the shore of the azure water of Lake Tanganyika. The lake is fringed by white sandy beaches.Want to visit Mahale Mountains?
Safari Reviews- Mahale Mountains
Lovely camp setting on Lake Tanganyika. I did NOT so much enjoy vicious Chimpanzees. Trekking terrain can be very difficult for a senior :)
All 8 user reviews