User Reviews – Serengeti NP

If you want to experience wildlife, Africa and Africa's wildlife, go here.

I have always wanted to see the wildlife in their natural habitat, and I was fortunate to be able to do that. It satisfies something in my soul, and I love it. We saw all the wildlife you can imagine. Elephants, rhino, lions mating, leopard, cheetah, wildebeest, giraffes, zebras, hippos, ostrich, crocodiles - it was heaven on earth. The scenery and weather were excellent, the lodge that we stayed at in the Serengeti was unique, the food they prepared for us was amazing - the kitchen area was so small, and out of that tiny area came some of the most delicious meals that I have ever had the opportunity to taste. Their stove was so tiny, I can't explain it, but it was able to cook things to perfection. Our transportation was better than what we had in Namibia, and our guides were so patient, and knowledgeable, although when one of our group members wanted to know the name of this one bird we saw, and our guide told him, I forget how many times, what the name of this bird was, and the group member couldn't understand him, the guide then spelled it out "B-A-T-E-L-E-U-R", and you could tell by the tone of his voice that he better not have to say it again. (But he also spelled it out several times.) We had three guides, and they were all wonderful, very kind, very accommodating, and we made new friends with them. On our last day there on our morning game drive, we saw on the right hand side of the road a male lion and a lioness. He looked to be dead to the world. Then our guide looked on the other side of the road and we saw another male lion and lioness. They were both sitting down, and the male had his head up, and I got a good shot of his head and eyes. Then he got up and started to walk over to the lioness and started to get on top of her. I though to myself "he can't be about to do what I think he's going to do." And sure enough, we saw them do it 3 times - the expressions on their faces were absolutely priceless!!! We did see a leopard, and this one lady in our tour group, it was her eighth time visiting Africa and this was the first time she had ever seen a leopard. So we were fortunate. And it was an experience never to be forgotten.

Wondrous creatures in a gorgeous wild setting as Mother Earth intended; a chance of a lifetime.

This is a gorgeous wild park; if you only get to go to one park in Tanzania...this is it. All the animals are here and the other parks simply repeat parts of your experience here. Enjoy watching the natural world as it was meant to be. Amazing!!

It's huge! Seeing the migration with wildebeast coming from every direction was awesome.

What can you? It's THE place to see African wildlife... if you were lucky as we were, you'll even see a cheetah walk within 5 meters of our truck. Stunning.

If you have ever seen a documentary on the Serengeti....it is nothing compared to the real thing!!

I was somewhat concerned about going in May, as it is the end of the rainy season. We could not have asked for a better trip though. No rain, temperature was about 80 during the day, the Park was not too crowded and it was baby time in the park (which was awesome to see). I stayed 2 nights at the Serena Serengeti Lodge and really enjoyed the accommodations and especially the thrill of staying right in the park. Our guide Justin (Ranger Safaris) was terrific. He knew exactly where to go and always made sure we got our "shot". We were sad to leave him at the end of our trip. He really took care of us. Highlights were the Hippo Pool, seeing a pride of lions on a large rock and spotting a leopard and it's kill in a tree. We also did a hot air balloon ride. The scenery was beyond words and eating breakfast under a huge tree in the park made me feel like I was in a brochure. Words cannot describe the beauty here.

The migration and leopards!

Ndutu is amazing, our best safari experience. Being able to get so close to the animals is a once in a lifetime experience.

Serengeti during the dry season is the image the people have when they think safari. It is The Lion King brought to life. Brown grasses as far as the eye can see, sometimes with a tree breaking the monotony.
We decided to spend a morning viewing the Serengeti from a hot-air balloon. It was expensive, but well worth the money we spent for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Everyone’s experience in the Serengeti will be different. Some will see a kill. Others may see a stampede, or a display of dominance, or a cheetah running, or a lion cub playing. We saw a juvenile elephant discover three lions stalking him, and then turn the tables on them. But everyone will see something that few other people in the world have seen, and that’s what makes Serengeti so fascinating.

Many, many animals and many people too! Get a guide that will help you experience it the way you want

Beaten track, but beaten for a reason.

Unfortunately we missed the migration at the park, but it was still busy with tourists. The landscape is open and expansive, meaning you're not constantly surrounded by other vehicles - unless you come across a pride of lions, in which case expect a steady build up of tourists.

There's a great number of animals to be seen at the park, and you'd have to be pretty unlucky not to come away with several decent sightings. Being driven around certainly makes for a relaxing tour, and there are plenty of extras to consider including camping or staying at a hotel within the park and balloon tours.

Our guide was interesting, we really liked him though I would imagine more professional ones are available. He was good at spotting wildlife but wasn't overly knowledgeable about each species. He compensated for this by being a fun and hardworking guide. The food provided was ok - not exactly fine dining, but we weren't expecting that anyway.

The weather during our time there was good - hot but not too hot, and sometimes cloudy. It didn't rain.

The highlight was probably the lions, as we saw them close up and with the male, who came and lay down right next to our vehicle. Just as we were about to leave a female arrived and called to her cubs, who arrived through the long grass. They were very cute. I also loved the hippo pool, where there was loads of activity.

All in all we had a fantastic time at the park, and would thoroughly recommend it to others who have an interest in wildlife.

• 4.9/5