Weather & Climate – Timbavati NR
Timbavati’s winter and summer are opposite to the seasons in Europe and North America. The Wet season occurs during the summer months (October to April), while the mild Dry season occurs during the winter (May to September). The summer is hot and humid. Winter is dry and mild, with it cooling off substantially during the night. Warm clothing is essential for early morning and evening game drives. Afternoon thunderstorms occur regularly during the Wet season, although the rains rarely last all day.
Climate Chart Timbavati Nature Reserve – 341-529m / 1,119-1,736ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Dry season –May to September – Winter
Humidity is low, and there is virtually no precipitation during the winter months. Permanent water sources attract animals as there is little water in the bush.
- May – This is a month of transition marking the end of summer. Temperatures typically cool off to 12°C/54°F in the morning and 27°C/81°F in the afternoon.
- June, July & August – Game drives in open vehicles will be cold in the morning, as it averages around 10°C/50°F. It would be wise to bring warm winter clothing. The afternoons are clear and pleasant with an average temperature around 25°C/77°F.
- September – The first rains bring comfort to the drought-like conditions, and the temperature builds to an average of 28°C/82°F in the afternoon. Mornings become warmer with an average temperature of around 14°C/57°F.
Wet seasons –October to April – Summer
Humidity can make the heat insufferable during the summer months. Though daytime temperatures average 30°C/86°F, it is not unusual for peaks to reach well over 40°C/104°F. Afternoon thunderstorms occur but seldom last all day.
- October & November – Rain frequency increases, primarily in the afternoon. Temperatures between 17°C/63°F in the morning and 30°C/86°F in the afternoon are normal.
- December, January & February – Torrential rains during the afternoon are normal, making humidity very high. These months are the hottest and the wettest of all. Afternoon temperatures average 31°C/88°F, but temperatures as high as 40°C/104°F are not unusual.
- March & April – Rainfall subsides as cooler weather sets in. The month of April has pleasant, clear weather with very little humidity. Nights cool to around 16°C/61°F, but are still temperate. The daytime average is 29°C/84°F.