User Reviews – Zambia

Sort By: Date Most Helpful 1-10 of 24 Reviews
Beautiful spot on the River

The safari overall was spectacular, just so much fun seeing all the animals in their natural habitats. The time we were there (mid October) was very hot, we felt it and so did the animals. So because of the heat many of the animals were not out and about, but still very much enjoyed everything Lower Zambezi had to offer!

Even better than expected, we had a wonderful but too short visit to South Luangwa.

We have travelled a lot in Southern and Eastern Africa visiting most of the great parks and South Luangwa stands out as one of our favourites after a previous visit. An Eden of scenic beauty and this time during high season there was wildlife everywhere and something to see behind each corner. And the park is never crowded. Flatdogs and Nkonzi are truly nice places, well managed with excellent food and comfortable safari tents. Elefants and hippos sharing the camp grounds are part of the bush feel. Guiding was superb including walking safaris and night drives.

Good place to go, but hard to access. Additionally, they are still connected to trophy hunting which will result in me not returning in the future.

South Lwange was amazing in May, Kafue had good wildlife sightings, but far fewer

I traveled via Cross Country Safaris to Zambia in May 2017. I visited 3 camps in Kafue and South Lwange. Cross Country chose beautiful camps in Chichele Lodge and Flatdogs Camp. Amazing wildlife sightings and great service and comfort at these two camps. I've been on about 6-7 wildlife safaris, and this ranked first or 2nd best. I wish Cross Country had told me more about Kafue, despite the fact that I read it had less wildlife. We did see typically one good game sighting each drive, but far less density of sightings than at South Lwange. If I went back to Kafue, it would be in September. Tseste flies were quite noticeable in Kafue. I found camp staff a little less well trained at Kafue than at South Lwange, and thought it was wierd that they have live shooting practice for rangers inside the park, rather than in the Game Management Area.

Wildlife sightings and photo opportunities are more rare because of the fact that the animals are not as much used to safari jeeps in their area. So they kept quite a distance to us. There were plenty of elephants in the various parks and it was great to watch them in the wild nature.

We did not have time to go and see some of the plains animals because of the time of the year. Other than that it was all good.

The travel from Lusaka into the wildlife areas was very simple and you were not having to travel long distances. Once inside the Kafue National Park there was a great diversity of wildlife and often you wouldn't see too many other tourists so sighting of the wildlife could be quite personal.

Many Parks, each with their own atmosphere and highlights. Zambia is the real Africa with Savanna areas, wetlands, large rivers and very dry areas. Tourism is less developed, which make it more adventurous but also very expensive if you are not ready to sleep in your own tent. It is nearly impossible to go to most parks without your own car. People are generally very friendly and easy going. Politically stable. No real urban highlights, although you could spend a couple of days in Lusaka without getting bored. Especially eating, drinking and markets are good (if you are into that).

Zambia is an amazing safari destination, of which you couldn't ask a whole lot more of.

Zambia has some amazing areas, and benefits from not being the most sought out safari destination like Tanzania's Serengeti Plains. Things are a bit more spread out, but that offers some great exploration opportunities. The locals are very kind and warm, and I have visited many of their home villages to hear their stories. The Kafue is also a great area to find the rare and elusive Sitatunga, of which I saw quite a few at dusk. There are some great lodges and tent locations in the area, some of which are permanent, with natural wood floors, stone walls, and traditional thatched roofs. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of my stays in the area, and hope to return soon. Plenty of opportunities to view game, birds, or even the famous bat migrations.

• 4.6/5