Popular Routes – Zambia
Popular Routes Where Wildlife Viewing Is a Major Part of the Tour
The best way to visit the parks in Zambia is by small aircraft. You will arrive in Lusaka’s Kenneth Kaunda International Airport (LUN) or Livingstone Airport (LVI), via Johannesburg, before flying on to your next destination. Zambia is all about in-depth safaris. It is not unusual to spend your whole holiday in one or two parks getting to know them thoroughly. Aside from game drives, walking and boat safaris are usually part of the package.
Zambia's Best (1.5 to 2.5 weeks)
- Victoria Falls (1 to 3 days) is Africa’s most spectacular waterfall. Aside from seeing the falls from various viewpoints, you can take a helicopter flight to see this natural wonder from a different perspective. There are lots of other activities to keep you busy, including boat trips and white-water rafting.
- Kafue National Park (3 to 5 days) is one of the largest parks in Africa and known for great leopard sightings. In general, animals tend to be a bit skittish here, but there is a good variety of antelope species and the park offers great wilderness appeal.
- South Luangwa National Park (3 to 6 days) is Zambia’s premier park, famous for its walking safaris. It is home to a wide variety of animals and is great for elephant viewing. Night drives are especially rewarding, giving a good chance to see some nocturnal species such as porcupine and bushbaby. Witnessing a pride of lion hunting at night is particularly exciting.
- Lower Zambezi National Park (3 to 5 days) is located on the northern bank of the mighty Zambezi River. Four of the Big Five are easily spotted (rhino is absent). While game drives are most productive for seeing lots of animals, canoeing is a highlight here and seeing animals from this vantage point is truly spectacular.
Any one of these three popular parks can be visited in isolation, or in combination with Victoria Falls for a longer period. In this case, you can book different accommodation throughout the park and do some mobile camping as well.
- North Luangwa National Park for walking in pristine wilderness
- Liuwa Plain National Park for a truly remote wilderness experience
- Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage for visiting the largest chimpanzee sanctuary in the world