Amboseli reminds one of the stark dusty plains from 'Mad Max: Fury Road'. The park is incredibly dusty and you can see huge dust storms in the distance when driving around. But the wildlife on offer is spectacular and we saw all of the big five except for leopards.

There is something primal and timeless about the place, the way the huge herbivores amble around in the shadows of mighty Mt Kilimanjaro. One can't help shake the feeling that this scene has been playing out for millions of years.

Lots of elephants and views of Mt. Kilimanjaro at Amboseli National Park

Amboseli had a very large number of elephant herds in addition to the scenic backdrop of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Fortunately, the mountain was clearly visible each afternoon we were there, providing some great photo-ops with the wildlife in the foreground. While not the largest park we encountered in Kenya, it was still very big and provided a fairly diverse range of wildlife (from elephants, hippos, zebra, hyenas and lions) as well as topography. We hiked up Observation Hill for a very nice view of Kilimanjaro. Our accommodations were at Amboseli Sentrim Camp which was very nice for both our room and food. Our Kenyan driver was fantastic (provided by Vintage Africa Tours), and his knowledge of the area was extensive.

You will see the biggest elephants! Their horns are huge and the landscape is really interesting.

Elephants, elephants, elephants...

Amboseli National Park was amazing for wildlife, and my accommodations were perfect.

My group was able to see a lot of wildlife, including elephants and cheetahs. We stayed at Tortilis Camp. The accommodations were really nice, with great service and really good food. I highly recommend a visit to Amboseli and a stay at Tortilis.

At Amboseli National Park (Kenya) you are guaranteed to meet the African plains elephant

Between the dates of June 21st - 26th 2015, I was at Amboseli National Park in Kenya, a park that is four hours drive away from the capital city in Nairobi. Alternatively you have flights from Wilson airport in Nairobi. At the entrance of the park we were greeted with a heavy presence of a stern but friendly security agents.
The park, located on the slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro the highest mountain in Africa (the highest free standing mountain on earth); boasts a high concentration of African plains elephants and a healthy population of spotted hyenas. I didn't get to see lions but felt their presence every night as they declared their dominance of the animal kingdom with roars that silenced all night sounds including the sounds of night insects.
The temperatures at the park varied from hot during the day to relatively cold at night. But I enjoyed my stay at Amboseli Serena lodge where they had extra beddings for those averse to cold nights like me. The food at my hotel was satisfactory and the breakfast superb.
The community surrounding the park are a friendly lot and add to the relaxed atmosphere. A downside to my stay at the park was that the game drives are a dusty affair and I should have carried a dust mask with me. Overall I give Amboseli a thumbs up for the elephant population.

Kilimanjaro as backdrop, elephants, and that you can stay at lodges within the park boundary.

Amboseli National Park offers a wide variety of scenic views and landscapes. Amboseli is close to Kilimanjaro and therefore especially offers nice views of the mountain, usually with animals in front. The roads are 'better' than in other parks, making it easier to drive on your own ('better' if you want to drive by your self, but worse if you want a genuine off-road experience, like in Buffalo Springs National Reserve).
When booking accommodation, make sure to do your research. We booked what a local travel agency said was a five star hotel (Serena) but it was far from! I would not recommend staying there unless three star with mainly an indian buffet is what you're seeking.
While at Amboseli, you should also go to the viewing point on top of a hill (ask at hotel where it is or if going on an arranged trip, the guide should know) for a 360 view of the park.

Watching Elephants roam across the plain with Kilimanjaro as a backdrop

We stayed at Sentrim Lodge just outside the gate to Amboseli. We done an evening tour on our first evening and a full day in the park the following day. The park may not be the biggest but it certainly has a lot going for it. We saw Herds of Elephant roaming, Hyenas in a den, Lion, Baboons with young, Ostrich, Hippos, Giraffe, Wilderbeast and many other animals roaming free. A must is a picnic on Observation hill where you can watch over a lot of the park. All of this with of Course Kilimanjaro as a backdrop that unveils itself for the evening sunset.

Elephant Haven and Kilimajaro the best !

This is a wonderful park for elephants and for wetland birdlife. The sunset views of Kilimanjaro and the elephants in the foreground are quintessential Africa

• 4.6/5